Metal Guitarist Forums banner

New Seven Day. Saber content.

Tags
saber
4K views 53 replies 13 participants last post by  Max 
#1 · (Edited)
New Seven Day. Saber content. Moar green on page 4!!!

Well it's been a while since I've had a 7, plus I've had some major S Series GAS lately. So I got a great deal on this from my buddy Adam. It looks brand new. Honestly the quality IMO is far better than that of my RG premium. No obvious flaws I can find. Having a Loomis kind of got me out of 7's, but feeling the Ibby 7 string neck makes me remember why I used to love 7's. The bridge pickup tone is the best I have heard. Tight crushing and brutal. :fawk: Well obviously the guitars only flaw is it's lack of a bridge pickup. You can see what I have in store for it in the last pic. It is getting a Evo7 in the bridge and a PAF7 in the neck. The neck pickup in it now is likely a Liquifire, but I'm not positive. I will likely sell it if I like the PAF. On to the pics.

See less See more
#13 ·
OK so I need opinions. I got a great deal on a set of Dimarzio's. Problem is one is zebra and one is reverse Zebra. I was planning on just flipping the EVO as it really doesn't sound any different either way around. However I wasn't thinking about the fact that it would mess things up with the in between positions on the 5 way switch. So my only real option is to run them both the right way around which puts both top coils as green and both bottom coils black, which is not the normal way of having zebra pickups. I think it will still look ok, but want some reinforcement. What do you guys think?
Normal Zebra

Reverse Zebra

Retarded Zebra (how I'm gonna have to run it)

#14 ·
reverse zebra. The evo has symmetrical coils (iirc) while the air norton does not. You may have to swap coil order (send black or white, whichever one is on the same coil as red to ground, hook red to green, and and the remaining (black or white, whichever isnt on ground) as hot. Most dimarzios are actually intended to have the neck wired that way if you want the standard switching since youre supposed to flip them to deal with some polarity dealio or other, but doing it to the bridge instead wont affect shit.

#17 ·
That's what I was thinking, but Dimarzio tech support said it would be an issue. I figured I could just swap the wires. They probably just didn't want to go into the solution. You wouldn't happen to have a diagram would you Max? As far an running the PAF upside down I refuse to have screw poles facing the wrong way.

#18 ·
OK Max here is a diagram if I was going to run them both normally. What wires would I need to swap on the bridge pickup to make it work the same? With this diagram everything would work as it should except position 4 where it should be both inner coils.

#20 ·
OK since youre reversing the evo, youll want to switch polarity, which makes this very easy (I THINK) :lol:

Red goes to ground with bare, black and white together like normal, and green is hot. Basically just swap red and green.

97% (tm) sure :lol:

I mean, try it, and if it doesnt work, you can try red and green together like black and white would be, black hot, white ground.

My mind gets all full of fuck when i try to do polarity shit :lol:

#25 ·
I was just thinking and that diagram shows both pickups installed with the wire exiting toward the bridge. In order to install the neck pickup the PAF has to be flipped with the wire exiting toward the neck as well in order for the screw poles to be facing towards the neck. So I will need to swap wiring for the neck pickup as well. Would wiring them both as above do the trick Max? :wub:

#26 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

Yeah but then you could of flip the evo and get zebra :lol:.

Dimarzio means for you to flip one pickup around. They generally have you do the neck but you can do bridge instead. You'd be flipping both then

#27 ·
I need to flip the neck in order for the screw poles to face the neck. With the reverse zebra that puts the green towards the neck and also the wire will exit towards the neck. Now with the bridge I would have to flip it as well in order for the green bobbin to face the bridge which would mean it's wire would also exit toward the neck. Therefore both pickups need to be flipped the same way to get either reverse zebra or regular zebra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.