Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The One That Got Away...

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

The One That Got Away...

We've all got them... instruments we had and got rid of for one reason or another.

Here's mine:

1987-1990 Yamaha Motion MBI Custom.

Product page

I had long wanted a bass, and i was in my first year at university and wanted to get rid of my pointy guitar i never played. I found this AMAZING Yamaha 32-inch scale bass with active electronics, for which i traded my old Lado. Transparent red over ash, maple neck, ebony board, abalone oval inlays, gold hardware, two humbuckers and active electronics.

This was an absolutely STELLAR sounding bass, but eventually i wanted a fretless and was advised against pulling the frets on this one, that 32" scale wouldn't make for a good fretless. So i bought my Precision mongrel a couple of years later and sold this one to a guy in my dorm.

Man, do i ever regret that. I've been looking for another one ever since. There are tons of the plain passive models, but i've never seen another MBI Custom. Ever. A Google search turns up exactly ONE image of it, which is on the Yamaha product archive page above.

I wish i could get that bass back, or at least find another one like it. It was awesome.

So what's your story of "the one that got away"?

ME: Epi MKH LP7
    MA: Hyostar SJ-971
    MB: LTD B-206SM
    Rig: Blackstar HTMetal 100>2x1

Nice I think there is a Blue on on GL down here for $300 bucks. Mine would probably be either the SC608B that I had to pawn for some quick cash, kind of an emergency too, and the LTD H-207 that I used to have.

I AM however, getting the H207 back because the Pawnshop I took it too over two years ago has not sold it and apparently never heard of Ebay The one I took the 8 string to, Did though.

ME: PRS Private Stocks

Mine would be a PRS Hollowbody 1.
    It was the first Hollowbody I owned.
    Unfortunately it was stolen from me.....

Stolen 2005 PRS Hollowbody 1 with piezo in Grey-Black - The Gear Page

Several PRS HBs Standards and Semi-Hollow l '93 PRS CU22 l SG Standard l Ibanez UV l 00 Taylor 410 l Mesa DR l Sherlock FatHead l Axe-II l Lots of FX and Cabs

Honestly I don't have any, but that's mainly because short of getting rid of 6s and a couple of guitars being stolen, I've never sold a guitar I played.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

My 1985 San Dimas Charvel Roundhorn V. So rare, I can't even find a picture of one on the interwebs...

ME: Ibanez RGT42DX
    Rig: 5150 III 50w -> G-System

Picked up a 7620 for $300 bucks. Got offered $600 for it 2 weeks later, and took the money. Never should have happened.
    Dances With Cables.

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

Not Mine but I should have never sold it.

I kind of also wish that I had kept the red ESP 400 strat I traded in for my 550...

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
    My 1985 San Dimas Charvel Roundhorn V. So rare, I can't even find a picture of one on the interwebs...
    Did that one burn in the Veneman's fire?

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  Decibel Guitars  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge