Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NGD: 1998 Ibanez RG550DY

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  TheSixthWheel 
#1 ·
This just looked too awesome for me to pass up. I'm in the middle of saving for university, and saving for a new vehicle...alas, GAS waits for no man. Apologies, the camera on my phone is all I had within reach. Might take better pics yet.

I picked up a DiMarzio Super Distortion from work on the same day I got the guitar and I've spent the last 2 nights tweaking/setting it up to my liking. I know I'm not the first to say this, but it's just an incredible guitar. I don't think I've played anything on it apart from 80's hard rock just yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will.

Cheers. :yesway:

See less See more
#16 ·
Apart from a couple of light scratches, it was completely clean and stock when I picked it up. The owner told me not to change the stock pickups because they were "amazing"... I'll post some better pics in here soon, found the good camera.

#22 ·
Yeah's it's had some playtime, got a few marks here and there on the neck and body. The thing that probably shows the most wear is the trem. The knife edges are a bit worn, the trems zero point is JUST a bit large for my liking, but it is marginal. and I'm used to a totally new OFR, so naturally it'll feel a bit different. Also, the sleeve the trem bar fits into is fairly loose, and lets the bar slightly move around - is there a common fix for this or do people replace the entire sleeve and/or bar? But yeah it's in pretty ridiculous condition for a guitar which is nearly 15 years old. Plenty of life left in the frets, that was a surprise.
I'm really happy with the guitar, after the bridge pup replacement, shimming the neck, and setting it up with 9's in E it's really settling down and becoming very comfortable.
It feels only slightly similar to the '87 RG560 I used to own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.