Floyd Rose Questions/Buying A New Guitar

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Rose Questions/Buying A New Guitar

Floyd Rose Questions/Buying A New Guitar

Hey everyone, I'm new here so i hope this is in the right spot, but I just have some questions regarding floyd rose tremolos. I'm going to be purchasing a new guitar fairly soon, and I would really like to have the floyd rose, but everyone tells me they're too much trouble to deal with and setup/maintain. I plan on keeping it in standard tuning, but if I were to go to drop D occasionally, would that be a big problem and result in a lot of work to do so? The fact that it's just one string leads me to believe it wouldn't be too bad, but as I said before I don't have much experience with them. I know it would throw off tension balance but I would hope it wouldn't be too hard to get it back into equilibrium. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated. All in all I just didn't want the fact that I occasionally drop one string down to deter me from getting the floyd rose, so I was wondering if it's an easy procedure.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

Theres ways around that. If you just switch the string to drop d, its gonna throw everything out of whack. What you can do is block the tremolo (there are devices to do this, or just use a fitted piece of wood) when you want to switch, and youll be fine. If i want to go more fully to drop D, setting back up takes maybe a minute or two for such a small change. Just have to rebalance things a bit, youre already most of the way there.

They can be tricky, but my first electric had a floyd, and a crappy one at that, and I was just fine.

Basically as you loosen the tension on the front (tuning down that string) the tension will go out of balance as if you were pulling up on the bar, so you have to loosen the springs a bit in the back. Reverse than when tuning back to standard. It takes a few minutes, maybe a bit longer at first, but its not a big deal. It is a bit more than just messing with the tuner like on a stoptail guitar. so if 10 seconds to 2 minutes is too big of a time jump then dont get one. If youre ok with taking a minute when you wanna switch, then go for it.
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Jackson Rhoads
    MB: Cheapo PJ
    Rig: Randall RG75G2

Like max said it's not impossible to do but it will take some practice to get the whole process down. Once you learn how to switch between the two tunings it shouldn't take too long though. Depending on how you plan to use your tremolo, pull up and dive or just dive only, you could get a d-tuna which drops the low E down a half step and makes the tremolo dive only. I personally set all my trems up for dive only and crank the shit out of my trem springs essentially blocking the trem.
    1. You can't win, you can only break even
    2. You can't break even

Thanks a lot guys, that helped a lot. Ya, I don't mind 2 minutes (with practice) at all. I was worrying It would take more like a half hour to an hour or something. I think I will definitely go for it. That d-tuna sounds very interesting as well. I'll have to check that out.

Wirelessly posted

Its all about string tension vs spring tension. As long as you use decent strings they are like heaven. The base should also be parallel with the body giving it perfect axis to be at zero tension, any leaning toward one way up or down and you will have tuning issues. Be sure to tale off backplate when stringing so you can adjust the trem claw for the bridges axis while tuning. Then string guitar, tune guitar flat about 1/2 to 1/4, then check the bridge to see if it dips in (back trem claw screws out) or if its pulling out (tighten trem claw screws). Then tune again and repeat process until it is perfect. It is a beautiful trem just dont be scared.....

They are kind of a pain. I have one guitar with a floating bridge (original Ibanez Edge) and I probably won't be getting any more. Then again, I don't use the tremolo bar that much, anyway.

There are some vids on YouTube that help explain how to set it up but plan on spending an hour at least your first time changing strings. It's like a little balancing act. Tune one string, the rest go out of tune. Tune the next string and now the first one is out of tune again. You finally get them all in tune but now the bridge is too high. Tighten the springs on the back to pull it down and now all the strings are too sharp. Start to tune them again by making them flat and each one you tune will affect all the others again.

Make sure you always start with the low (pitch) E and work toward the high (pitch) E.

Disclaimer: I'm new to floating bridges and suck at it. It probably gets easier the more experience you have with it.

If you want to play in drop D sometimes your options are to not use a floating bridge, or get one with a "D-Tuna" which is basically this little thing you pull and it drops you into drop D. You won't be able to change on the fly like you can with a normal bridge guitar.
    Last edited by ironfistx; 12-31-2012 at 06:29 AM.

ME: Schecter Hellraiser
    MA: Taylor 114CE
    Rig: Blackstar HT40

I do it routinely on all of my guitars with Floyd Roses, it's actually no problem, unless you go with heavier strings---also, another solution is to get the EVH D-Tuna, it'll instantly drop it to D from the tremolo just by pulling the device
    *Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
    *ESP Eclipse II Standard
    *Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR-S
    *Taylor 114 CE
    *Blackstar HT40 + HTV112 cab
    *Fender Mustang I
    *Randall RVC5
    *Furman Pedal Board loaded with Bogner, Boss, ISP, Dunlop, Randall and Korg Stompboxes

ME: Swirley Shirley
    MB: Shine POS
    Rig: SLO & MkIIC+

I've never understood all these trem nightmare stories i hear. Once you have done it once or twice(the tuning that is) you can do it nearly as quick as a hardtail guitar.

My first guitar had a crappy licensed trem and i even managed to do that quickly after the first few times and it stayed in tune better than a lot of supposedly better quality trems that i've had since.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog

Also if you want a link slapping on there shoot me a PM