Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is "cleaning house" all that?

ME: RG1527
    MA: Eastman AC-420
    Rig: Mesa Stiletto Ace

Is "cleaning house" all that?

Hey guys,

I've been debating for awhile now to simplify things big time - primarily with my guitars. I own around a dozen or so, but realistically, I favor three or four that I play regularly. It seems like it'd be pretty liberating to get rid of a lot of these guitars and use the money to buy a custom or something like that where I know I'd be getting exactly what I wanted.

I've never really done a big gear purge before - so what do you guys think on it? Is it as liberating as it seems, or will I be a year down the road and thinking "Hm.. it'd be nice to have X guitar still"?
    "Sometimes you have to confront your own patterns and expectations of yourself and do away with things that you enjoy doing in order to move forward and keep evolving as a musician. That's exactly the definition of the word progressive of course." —Steven Wilson

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Yeah, you'll miss one or two of them, but you'll be too busy playing on new guitars to give it much thought

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Unless it's something that's super rare or has a great deal of sentimental value, get rid of it, you can always replace it.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

I have always sold guitars that 1.) I'm not playing, and 2.) that I'm not keeping in reserve for a specific purpose (say, recording rhythm tracks). In my career I've gone through a couple guitars I think most people would have been hesitant to let go - a 7620 (my first 7), a 2027, and a CST for three - yet today I don't regret any of them.

Do it. If it's just gathering dust, what's the point?
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Ibanez 2027, MM JP 6
    Rig: Axe Fx 2; Mesa 2:90

I get bouts of GAS and buy a bunch of things that I don't really need and then later I feel the need to dump the same. I always have 3-4 that are dear to my heart that stick around but the rest are just a revolving door of GAS and regret.

Unleash your inner Gear Whore.
    Lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way!

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Once you get in the habit of selling guitars, you become far less attached to what you have that isn't an absolute, I need this around all the time keeper. Stuff sitting in cases for months at a time without good reason can go.

Obviously, guitarists often keep guitars around specifically for getting certain sounds when recording. I'm not saying sell the "overdub" guitars, but do get rid of the stuff that you're keeping around just because twenty guitar cases stacked in a room looks cool. In the last decade, I've got from two dozen guitars, mostly inexpensive to mid-priced, to a few choice pieces.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: RG1527
    MA: Eastman AC-420
    Rig: Mesa Stiletto Ace

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    mostly inexpensive to mid-priced, to a few choice pieces.
    That's ultimately what I'd be going for. I've got a lot of mid-priced stuff and my tastes are getting more expensive, so the idea of an upgrade is pretty ideal.

For the most part, I don't have any sentimental attachment to these guitars aside from one - A PRS CE24 that I got for my 16th birthday. Haven't been a big fan of the guitar itself for a few years now, I've always just kept it around "because." It'll probably be for sale soon, truth be told.

Thanks for the input, dudes!

ME: Frankencaster
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: Chameleon 2000 & 2/90/2

I've got just enough gear to cover all the bases now-a-days, and I've still got a few more items that I need to move.

It's better to have a modest number of nice guitars that cover a wide tonal range than to have fifty billion guitars that never get played IMO.
    [Leon] 10:03 pm: She can poop on my chest anyday