Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ibanez Prestige or Schecter???

ME: Robbins custom 7
    MA: ovation celebrity
    MB: Tobias
    Rig: peavey JSX/EVH 5153 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've never owned a bad Schecter. I've had 2-3 C1s, a C7 Hellraiser, a C7 standard and a C7 blackjack. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but IMO they make consistently good guitars.

Basically the folks on /7/ shitting on them are just lemmings, but we knew that already anyway.
    the part about the lemmings is entirely true haha. but schecter has some great guitars. they also have some great USA made ones that are just becoming available.

ME: Elysian Custom
    Rig: Blackstar ID 30 TVP

Quote Originally Posted by Suitable View Post
    Sooooo I'm back to square one after all these months but have called shecter up in CA and hhave a new Scheter Hellraiser Extreme C-1 FR Ebony fretboard in see thru. black coming so hopefully this comes all good!!! But I'm going to swap the pups straight away for passives and then hopefully relax and just shred the fuck out of it!!! Fingers and toes and horns crossed!!!

Ok recommendation number 2 from me. Ibanez RG920MQM you won't regret it.
    I play Suhrs, not poor people guitars. -Chris

ME: Strypoverse
    MA: Ovation Electric
    Rig: Axe-FX II

Schecter does make a nice guitar. I just don't get along with the rather beefy neck on my C7 Hellraiser. I've found the Ibanez neck suits me better. All personal preference when it comes to that and I know Schecter has some models with slimmer neck profiles.
    Let not the dixie cup mislead you!

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've never owned a bad Schecter. I've had 2-3 C1s, a C7 Hellraiser, a C7 standard and a C7 blackjack. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but IMO they make consistently good guitars.

Basically the folks on /7/ shitting on them are just lemmings, but we knew that already anyway.
    Same. I've owned three, a C1 Hellraiser, a C1, and a Loomis. They are consistent as fuck and if you complain about the neck carve you are a bitch. Don't judge the ones you play in GC, because the *core kids that get dropped off there while their moms are buying groceries flock to those like crazy and the strings and setups are guaranteed to be shit from repeated detunings to god knows what.

The only reason they aren't everyone's cup of tea is because there are nicer, way higher priced guitars out there. If you are on a sub $400-500 budget though, and want nice hardware/pickups right off the bat, Schecter would honestly be my #1 choice.

ME: ESP Maverick
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: Randall V2

I played my bud's SLS C7 when they came by on tour and it was pretty killer. I'd say the neck is about the same as the RG927. It felt a bit thinner to be honest but I didn't have mine with me to compare but that was my reaction when I felt it.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    MB: Warwick Corvette
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    The only reason they aren't everyone's cup of tea is because there are nicer, way higher priced guitars out there. If you are on a sub $400-500 budget though, and want nice hardware/pickups right off the bat, Schecter would honestly be my #1 choice.
    This. The only "problem" with Schecter is that they seemingly have 700 different models of the same exact guitar. They aren't bad guitars at all, but a little diversity in their models wouldn't hurt.

For anyone just starting out playing, or looking for a slight bump from a starter axe to a reasonably priced, reliable guitar that doesn't immediately need new pickups (like every Ibanez) the day you buy it, you really can't go wrong with a C1. They look great, sound great, have good pickups like Greg said, and are just reliable as hell.

ME: Gibson LP Custom
    MA: Yamaha APX500
    MB: EBMM Bongo
    Rig: Fractal Axe-FX II

A used Ibby RGA121 is a great choice too. I even like its stock pickups enough to keep 'em in there. Got mine, with hardshell case, for $650. They can be had for less if one is patient with eBay.

Gibson | PRS | Jackson | Fender | Dean | Carvin | Warmoth
    Fractal Audio Systems | Marshall | Fender | Boss
    Ernie Ball | Dunlop | Elixir | DR

MB: Warmoth Precision
    Rig: Ampeg V4B/Mesa PH212

Schecters are definitely solid guitars. I'm also partial to the PRS SE (and own 3 PRS). If that one doesn't work out, maybe look at the middle of the line LTD stuff?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin