The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority           Join us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! MG on YouTube MG on Google+ MG on Pinterest MG Soundcloud Group 
Register Gallery Merch Patches Forums Home
Guitar: Instrument Discussion Guitar related discussion - six string, seven string, eight string and beyond.

Ibanez Prestige or Schecter???
  Metalguitarist.org  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #41

Send PM    Add to friends   

tis aboot da metul

Member Number: 4893
Home: elizabeth, Colorado
ME: Robbins custom 7
MA: ovation celebrity
MB: Tobias
Rig: peavey JSX/EVH 5153 4x12
1,750 Posts
Gallery: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've never owned a bad Schecter. I've had 2-3 C1s, a C7 Hellraiser, a C7 standard and a C7 blackjack. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but IMO they make consistently good guitars.

Basically the folks on /7/ shitting on them are just lemmings, but we knew that already anyway.
the part about the lemmings is entirely true haha. but schecter has some great guitars. they also have some great USA made ones that are just becoming available.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #42

Les Paul Nut

Member Number: 538
Home: New Orleans
ME: Ibanez RGD7320Z
Rig: Peavey Vypyr 15
7,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitable View Post
Sooooo I'm back to square one after all these months but have called shecter up in CA and hhave a new Scheter Hellraiser Extreme C-1 FR Ebony fretboard in see thru. black coming so hopefully this comes all good!!! But I'm going to swap the pups straight away for passives and then hopefully relax and just shred the fuck out of it!!! Fingers and toes and horns crossed!!!

Ok recommendation number 2 from me. Ibanez RG920MQM you won't regret it.

I play Suhrs, not poor people guitars. -Chris
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:45 AM   #43

Strange Elixirs

Member Number: 1048
Home: No Boat Back
ME: Strypoverse
MA: Ovation Electric
Rig: Axe-FX II
4,265 Posts

Schecter does make a nice guitar. I just don't get along with the rather beefy neck on my C7 Hellraiser. I've found the Ibanez neck suits me better. All personal preference when it comes to that and I know Schecter has some models with slimmer neck profiles.

Let not the dixie cup mislead you!
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #44

Send PM    Add to friends      Facebook

Mullet Child

Member Number: 812
Home: Laramie, Wyoming
ME: Jackson AT Pro
Rig: Rivera K Tre
9,248 Posts
Thanked 1,127 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've never owned a bad Schecter. I've had 2-3 C1s, a C7 Hellraiser, a C7 standard and a C7 blackjack. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but IMO they make consistently good guitars.

Basically the folks on /7/ shitting on them are just lemmings, but we knew that already anyway.
Same. I've owned three, a C1 Hellraiser, a C1, and a Loomis. They are consistent as fuck and if you complain about the neck carve you are a bitch. Don't judge the ones you play in GC, because the *core kids that get dropped off there while their moms are buying groceries flock to those like crazy and the strings and setups are guaranteed to be shit from repeated detunings to god knows what.

The only reason they aren't everyone's cup of tea is because there are nicer, way higher priced guitars out there. If you are on a sub $400-500 budget though, and want nice hardware/pickups right off the bat, Schecter would honestly be my #1 choice.
Greg McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #45

Send PM    Add to friends      MySpace   Facebook

MG.ORG Irregular

Member Number: 27
Home: Virginia Beach, USA
ME: ESP Maverick
MB: ESP Horizon 5
Rig: Randall V2
8,875 Posts

I played my bud's SLS C7 when they came by on tour and it was pretty killer. I'd say the neck is about the same as the RG927. It felt a bit thinner to be honest but I didn't have mine with me to compare but that was my reaction when I felt it.
Kagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #46

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

Adminishredder
MG Server Overlord

Member Number: 1
Home: Boston, MA
ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
MA: Martin DC-1E
MB: Warwick Corvette
Rig: Axe-Fx II XL
37,906 Posts
Gallery: 237
Thanked 11,655 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
The only reason they aren't everyone's cup of tea is because there are nicer, way higher priced guitars out there. If you are on a sub $400-500 budget though, and want nice hardware/pickups right off the bat, Schecter would honestly be my #1 choice.
This. The only "problem" with Schecter is that they seemingly have 700 different models of the same exact guitar. They aren't bad guitars at all, but a little diversity in their models wouldn't hurt.

For anyone just starting out playing, or looking for a slight bump from a starter axe to a reasonably priced, reliable guitar that doesn't immediately need new pickups (like every Ibanez) the day you buy it, you really can't go wrong with a C1. They look great, sound great, have good pickups like Greg said, and are just reliable as hell.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #47

Metal Acolyte

Member Number: 1340
Home: Los Angeles, CA
ME: Gibson LP Custom
MA: Yamaha APX500
MB: EBMM Bongo
Rig: Fractal Axe-FX II
603 Posts

A used Ibby RGA121 is a great choice too. I even like its stock pickups enough to keep 'em in there. Got mine, with hardshell case, for $650. They can be had for less if one is patient with eBay.

Gibson | PRS | Jackson | Fender | Dean | Carvin | Warmoth
Fractal Audio Systems | Marshall | Fender | Boss
Ernie Ball | Dunlop | Elixir | DR
zslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #48

Drive Fast, Take Chances

Member Number: 453
Home: Albany, NY
MB: Fender SH Precision
Rig: GK MB Fusion 800
1,018 Posts

Schecters are definitely solid guitars. I'm also partial to the PRS SE (and own 3 PRS). If that one doesn't work out, maybe look at the middle of the line LTD stuff?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ibanez, prestige, schecter

Related Products Discussed In This Thread