Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Ibanez Prestige or Schecter???

18K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  Josh 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a new 6 string for playing fast metalcore, melodic metal, thrash and just fun shit. It must have a floating tremelo cause playing pantera is fun! I want a nice sounding guitar for all aspects of playing too. Future plans for it will be putting some BK painkillers in there (unless it just sounds wicked from factory!?)

My thoughts are between an Ibanez RGA420Z, Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR or the Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR...

These are my thoughts of guitars. Please give me your opinions on them if you can and I'm open for more suggestions of types of guitars to look at instead also.

Cheers heaps for your help, thoughts and advice!

HORN UP!!! :metal:

#39 ·
haha im not used to schecter appreciation at all. over at ss they hate them all haha.

i personally own a schecter 7 and an ibanez 7. comparing the two i would say they are both great, solid guitars. im gonna have to say with schecter you get alot more for your money. the damien elite 7 i have was 500 bucks and it comes stock with emg 707's and iller looks whereas my rga7qm was 650 and only has crappy little knock off acrive pickups. however it also looks killer and plays great other than the p'ups.

the one schecter 6 i have (tempest custom) is a fantastic guitar. definitely schecter equivalent of a les paul, and definitely good enough for that label. its a very solid guitar. and just plays fantastic. not to mention thats one of the cheaper schecters out there. i cant imagine the guitar you get for over 1k.

#40 ·
I've never owned a bad Schecter. I've had 2-3 C1s, a C7 Hellraiser, a C7 standard and a C7 blackjack. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but IMO they make consistently good guitars.

Basically the folks on /7/ shitting on them are just lemmings, but we knew that already anyway.

#43 ·
Schecter does make a nice guitar. I just don't get along with the rather beefy neck on my C7 Hellraiser. I've found the Ibanez neck suits me better. All personal preference when it comes to that and I know Schecter has some models with slimmer neck profiles.

#47 ·
A used Ibby RGA121 is a great choice too. I even like its stock pickups enough to keep 'em in there. Got mine, with hardshell case, for $650. They can be had for less if one is patient with eBay.

#49 ·
Thanks for all the responses!

Well I planted $1200 into the jackson thinking that at that price range it should be pretty much flawless and solid! That was definitely not the case!

I have a store credit a gearhounds now. I was looking at doing a swap with a ESP LTD Elite M-II in see thru black, they're supposed to be made in Japan at the ESP factory but I'm concerned about the neck quality from the jackson experience... also they list the floyd rose as a floyd rose so who knows weather its an OFR, Floyd Rose 1000 series or a floyd rose special? I would fucking hate it to be a special for that price but who knows??? I've since leant that a companies speal on a guitar they make is the real deal (I knew that from the beginning but having seen a pointed headstock shaped like a banana it makes me cringe!).

The Shecter is their top of the range diamond series so it has to be fucking good from the reports of their "cheeper" models! If the neck is too thick (I love my LP Custom neck though) ill Find out what carbon rods are in there and shave it down to my likings no biggy. Its all mahogany and its a neck through. Its clearly labeled on their website that the floyd is a 1000 series so I know they are good. Everything on their site clearly lables what you are buying and where its being made so out of the other brands they ARE the most honest which is a big tick in my book! T

This axe is going to be my go to thrasher with heavily used floyd action and I know from everything I've read about them they can handle that sort of abuse. Reviews are great, i don't like the inlays and over use of MOP but I'm buying it to play hard not to look at so who cares. Ill see how the pups sound when I get it but I already have a RG7620 that i modded with EMG 81-7 in the bridge and a 707 in the neck so I already have that tone from that. If I pull the actives out straight away Ill be able to hopefully sell them pretty quick as brand new hopefully! I want to put a Bill & Becky L500XL in the bridge and a 59 or a Jazz in the neck to get some nice dimbag tones happening, also want to (if the L500XL is 4 con install a SD Blackout modular preamp in there and make it bypass switchable as Ill already have the battery mount in the back so it should be easy as! HOPEFULLY!

And if the L500XL isnt 4 con I want to mod a SD JB-4 to have a ceramic magnet for more rip your face off bite and can accept the preamp no dramas....

I don't know... See how it goes!!!

Cheers for the help!!!

#50 ·
One thing.

Proceed to give approximately no fucks about "flawless" (maybe a partial fuck, thats enough coin to pay attention to want it decent i suppose), and give all the fucks about "awesome".

Also the JB doesn't have a ceramic magnet, its alnico 5. But it will chainsaw your balls off anyways.

#52 ·
Well as long as its not made from rubber like the jackson was and someone with half a brain gives it some attention to detail it will be Awesome!

I know the JB is alnico 5, I'm thinking of doing the swap with a ceramic.

Is the distortion just a jb with a ceramic magnet?

#56 ·
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Ryan said:
*cough*beg to differ..

The Distortion has more highs and mids. Better mids imo. The JB can sound kinda nasally even though the resonant peak is virtually the same.
It's the same coil windings, ceramic magnet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.