Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My strat lives!

ME: PRS / Gibson
    MA: Yamaha
    MB: Jazz 6-string
    Rig: EVH 5150iii 50w

My strat lives!

Stemming from THIS thread, I finally said fuck you to the floyd rose special that has been a total piece of junk. I'm not saying all specials suck, as I've had them in several guitars, but this one, yeah, it sucked. Goodbye....

...and hello new trem! This is a Proline trem from guitar center. It was $79. My plan was to buy this & basically use the parts off it to replace the jacked bridge saddles on the special, then I'd have a trem carcass to add to my bag of guitar parts, in case I was in a pinch and needed something else off it. However, once I removed the packaging, the Proline appears very well built. The construction reminds me of the Schaller style and the Floyd Rose II trems. In comparison to the FR special, it had beefier components all around. I wasn't expecting much, but it was nice to be surprised. In short, I said fuck it and installed it. I did have to do some minor routing so the base plate could float freely.

Now, my strat lives! I said off with the chrome & on with Charvel-approved black hardware! I added the black locking nut, ditched the chrome ESP tuners & threw on some Grover tuners I had lying around. Also sanded the neck down to bare wood for that Charvel feel. Finally, I strung her up with some Elixir 10s in Standard Eb.

I love the tom anderson HN3+ humbucker for rocking out (remember those youtube vids I did with it?), but there's something awesome about the stock single coil in the neck that puts me into full on stevie ray mode. It's so glassy! I've done a lot to this guitar in the last couple years and im not done yet! I'll eventually throw in some higher output single coils that can compete with the HN3+'s output. Right now, I'm thinking a Dimarzio Injector neck & Area 67 middle. The guitar will most likely end up with a fr00ty rattle can paintjob, just for kicks. Anyway, here she is.

ME: Epi MKH LP7
    MA: Hyostar SJ-971
    MB: LTD B-206SM
    Rig: Blackstar HTMetal 100>2x1

Looks way better with the Black Trem also.

ME: Schecter
    MA: Yamaha - Nylon
    MB: OLP MM3
    Rig: V2 / Titan

damn the black hardware is killer. and now that you've done a bit of routing it adds some authenticity to the worn finish look lol

also I think they discontinued this model for the regular finish version if that makes you feel any cooler

"The most important thing I look for in a musician is whether he knows how to listen." -Duke Ellington

ME: Charvel SoCal Custom
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

Black hardware ALWAYS > chrome.
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Buttery Biscuit
    Rig: Mesa/Sunn

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    It looks so much better for it

ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Well, that depends on what the rest of the guitar looks like, me thinks.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Don't respray it, dude. Leave it as it is. I've never tried the Injector neck, but the Area '61 makes a great middle pickup if you're after a SRV sound.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

Quote Originally Posted by Psyler View Post
    Looks way better with the Black Trem also.

I may have to look into getting one of those for mine - at that price it is hard to beat