Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Looking for an acoustic easy on leads

4K views 57 replies 17 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
So, my band played an acoustic show last night at a local restaurant, and they want us back. Problem is, I fucking hate playing leads on an acoustic :lol:. Yeah, it's probably just my pussy-hands and all, but bending a high G on the 2nd string of a set of fucking 13's tuned Eb with my fretting hand fully open because I can't reach the fucking thing… well, sucks :lol:

I think my wrist hurts more than my fingertips today.

Any thoughts on an acoustic that is easier to play leads on? I'm fully open to sacrificing tone for playability.

#2 ·
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

My Blueridge has a very comfortable neck. Lighter strings help too.

#4 ·
Ovations are known for having necks friendly to electric players. I think Alvarez have comfy necks as well. In addition, put on some tiny strings. If they're good quality acoustic strings they will still sound good, and if you are mic'd up and amplified, the tiny strings won't matter anyways.

#13 ·
A USA Ovation is probably your best bet for this. Then again, you might have to play 20-30 Ovations until you find one that doesn't suck, so just buy a Taylor 2-series. :lol:

Unless, of course, you can find a Gibson Chet Atkins, but those go for BIG bucks and you still need an amp. Plus side is they're thin, play awesome they don't sound like crap, unlike all the other "thin-body" models, because they're not trying to be an acoustic, just sound like one when plugged in.

#22 ·
That is a great guitar, and that's an awesome price. :yesway: I have a MC16-GTE which is also pretty awesome. Martin's mid-level shit is really pretty great.

#23 ·
The Blueridge BR-40CE is a LOT of guitar for the price. I ended up going with the non-cutaway acoustic-only version, but only because it was cheaper and sounded mildly better acoustically.

#26 ·
I really liked how it had both a mic and a pickup that you could fade between. And, the controls are tucked in the soundhole.

The $900 part… I didn't like so much :lol:

But, the truth is, I think I really dislike a lot of the acoustics I've tried simply because they were cheap. I either need to find a good used one, or live with the cheapo's.

#32 ·
Well, I'm sure if I had a nicer acoustic, I might reach for it more often, but I don't play acoustic often enough to really warrant something more than $1k new.

Best case scenario, I manage to sell my PRS SE Korina and a few pedals, and make enough to either get this Godin A6 Ultra new, or something similar used, around $700.

#36 ·
a) Blueridge guitars are bloody great for the price. Cheap but you wouldn't guess it.

b) 13's is pretty fucking manly. I use 11's (I bitch pick, though). Lighter strings may help.

c) Thin body acoustics are shit, and do sound shit. As do Martin X-Series.

d) Seagull is always a good shout. They make Gibson's acoustics.

e) None of these points matter

f) I'm just typing them for the hell of it.

g) What you actually need is a Takamine Santa Fe. Hands down the best sounding acoustic, cutaway or not, this side of a $1600 Martin/Lowden. And will comfortably come in under $800, hardcased and all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.