Metal Guitarist Forums banner

How much would you spend on an old friend?

Tags
friend spend
2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Max 
#1 ·
Say you have an old guitar that is awesome but has seen better days.

How much would you throw at it before you just bought a new guitar instead?

#6 ·
The instrument in question is an LTD MH-307.

It needs everything done that can be done. The fret crowns are like 2mm wide twist ties flat on the fretboard. I'd want the radius compounded to 16 - 20" as well as long as we've got the frets off anyway. Real Floyd Rose, pickups (I'd probably just do Blackouts or 707's, 707x's or whatever to avoid that mess), and electronics like switchcraft jack / switch, et cetera. But I'm looking at 6 -$700.

I was looking to throw down for a high end 7. Suhr, Anderson, Broderick...that range. I cant do both. A new, really nice guitar would be exciting!

But I know this guitar...I played it for a LONG time...it isnt going anywhere, so maybe I should just get it done. I think I remember Drew getting a refret done on one of his old guitars and being like "KAPOW!" in his face with goodness.

#8 ·
So you don't really love the guitar at all then, since you want to change most every specification? :lol:

Personally I'd just re-fret the thing and fix anything broken, then buy that new guitar you want. If this one means anything to you. Don't go souping it up unless you want to learn how to do it all yourself - then it's a great adventure that will make you a much better guitarist as you learn to really appreciate your gear and how it works.

#11 ·
Post a picture? The frets may only need dressed and crowned, in which case it should be a lot cheaper.

Radiusing the board is labour intensive - and compound radius slightly more so and really not necessary - I'm fairly sure the guitar in question is already a compound radius - my bandmates certainly seemed like it.

Pickups could be found second hand. The jack on the MH307 is just a panel jack and can be had for a couple of bucks.

Post a pic and I can tell you more.

#14 ·
Floyd Rose 7-String:
Q:What is the bridge and nut radius for the 7-string Floyd Rose?
A:The bridge is 20" (508 mm). The nut is 15" (381 mm)

The only thing I cant do myself on a guitar is fretwork...I've also never made / slotted a nut which wouldnt be needed on this, but I'm just saying. If the body were broken in 1/2 or the headstock were cracked off I'd be in territory where I would be able to fix it. haha.

So the fretwork I'm expecting 3 - $400 depending if I go Plek or not. The rest is just a cart at musicians friend with the pickups and a Floyd.

(charging camera battery stitchy)

#16 ·
I ask myself this about one of my guitars (87 RG550). Should I put money in it or should I just say F it and buy an Iron label hardtail. If the Iron Label had a maple board I would definatley go that route. :lol:

I don't play all that much anymore tho so doing either is pretty low on my priority list

I would think that if you want that much work done on your neck you may be better off buying a new warmoth neck - would be cheaper (I wish they would do Ibanez shaped headstocks)

#20 ·
Oh man that's fine! Just needs a dress and a crowning to remove the flatness. No idea what it'll run you in the US - over here that's about £70 of work.

Wiring, if you aren't willing to do it, is half an hours work. String and setup with intonation is an hours work, say. At £35/hr, you're talking Call it £105 all in short of the bridge swap...

I'd advise against getting an OFR personally. If you were determined to get one - and you know it's a direct swap - then go for it. Otherwise, it's not worth the money or hassle.

#22 ·
I'm definitely planning on putting new frets on my S540LTD once I've got money to spare. It's a 23 year old guitar, which I've had for 10 years now, so the frets have been worn to the point where I'm not sure if a fretdressing and crowning is enough. The neck binding makes the fret change more expensive, so I don't think I can afford it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.