Thread: New Nightswan (sort-of)

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

New Nightswan (sort-of)

Saw this on the Guitar Player website:

Attachment 9767

Buddy Blaze Guitars has joined forces with Seymour Duncan and Floyd Rose to give away a very special guitar: The Buddy Blaze - Vivian Campbell 25th Anniversary Shredder VC-II / LS modeled after the historic guitar used by Campbell in his Whitesnake days.

In 1987, Buddy Blaze and Vivian Campbell designed the Buddy Blaze Shredder, the guitar that would ultimately become known as the Kramer Nightswan. With a scale length of 24 5/8", floating Floyd Rose tremolo and a 'bridge/middle' pickup configuration (a Seymour Duncan Full Shred and a JB, respectively), the Shredder was a unique take on the 'superstrat' concept. When Blaze was drafted by Kramer, Campbell soon followed him. The 'Lightning Storm' Nightswan prototype was born, featuring the first appearance of the Full Shred as well as a similar finish to Dimebag Darrell's Dean From Hell, another famous guitar Buddy is intrinsically linked to.

"I was quite drawn to the idea of working one-on-one with a guy who simply wanted to build guitars, as opposed to a bigger company that was more concerned with marketing," Campbell says. "I liked the idea of a short scale guitar. I had been playing Charvel/Jackson for a year or two before that, and whilst I certainly appreciated those instruments, there were certain features that were unnatural to me - one of which was the wide, flat and unfinished fretboard. Another was their 25 1/2 inch scale; although I have big hands, I liked the idea of a smaller instrument with a smaller neck as I tend to use my left hand thumb over the top of the neck when playing bar chords and that was difficult to do with larger, wider necks."

To celebrate 25 years since the 'Lightning Storm' prototype was created, Buddy and Vivian have teamed up to offer the Buddy Blaze Vivian Campbell 25th Anniversary Shredder VC-II / LS. Only 25 will be made, each with a unique lightning storm graphic hand-painted by Buddy. They'll have an Original Floyd Rose tremolo with R1 nut (Titanium Floyd optional), the same Full Shred/JB pickup combination (with each Full Shred signed by Seymour W. Duncan), a Honduras Mahogany body, figured maple neck with 16" radius ebony fretboard, 24 5/8" scale length, Buddy Blaze-designed CTS pot, and a certificate of authenticity signed by Buddy and Vivian.

And you could win one. Simply enter on Facebook, and you could own one of these 25 historic guitars! Entries close on March 27th and giveaway is open worldwide.

From the picture it doesn't look like it has the "wave-pattern" dot inlays like the original Nightswan had. That's too bad, 'cause I always thought that was one of the nice things that set it apart from other guitars.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I agree about the inlays. Maybe Gibson's lawyers weren't too thrilled about it getting too close to the Kramer version?

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: Mesa ROV25+V:25+Mesa Cab

Wow, that's pretty......ugly.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer

ME: Kramer Nightswan II
    MA: Garrison G50

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I agree about the inlays. Maybe Gibson's lawyers weren't too thrilled about it getting too close to the Kramer version?
    Shouldn't be an issue - the original Buddy Blaze that Viv played had the sweeping inlays:

I agree that's a massive shame though, and weird considering the limited run of the dots reissue had the inlays: NAMM 2012: Vivian Campbell launches Buddy Blaze Shredder VC 25th anniversary model | I Heart Guitar

Still, I sure as hell wouldn't turn my nose up at it!

ME: Ibanez 540PIIM
    Rig: Peavey 6505

"W yn shn y zhī, shn y xng.
    Tiān xi m nng zhī, m nng xng." - Lao Tse - my band.