My pink guitar

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pink guitar

My pink guitar

Hello all!

Just wanted to share this nice little guitar with you, though I will be the only one playing it heehee.

This project took me well over a year to get done so I now want to show it around a bit I guess.

Firstly, I wish to thank Waltheer who drew up the entire electronics schematics (coil splits and series/parallel for the humbuckers, independant wiring for the middle pickup, phase reversal, etc.). Genial work!

The body of the guitar is from an MIK Westone. One of my favourite brands of guitars. Used to be MIJ back in the 80s and then went downhill and crashed in the early 90s.

I got the neck off ebay. It's Chinese made and the finishing was poor. I did a full scallop on it and it feels incredible. Hours of work though.

Despite the neck being all maple and the body being dunnowhatwood (not laminate), it sounds actually quite warm but with some nice brightness to it (most likely a combination of the woods and the tremolo brass block).

The pickups are
    - GFS in the neck: I know GFS is not popular on this forum. I haven't had to complain about the few pickups I tried from them and am happy with this one. Medium output, quite warm, not muddy, maybe a little bland but I like it.
    - Ironstone (platinum model I think) in the middle: handmade in England. Great pups. These things have balls while retaining absolute clarity, just lov'em.
    - SD in the bridge (custom custom I believe): very happy with it. Maybe lacks a tiny bit of output for the hairmetal orientation of the guitar but hardly. It's got impressive low-end, contrary to my expectations, and cutting highs. Each note rings distinct which is essential to me.

Chinese machine heads, nothing to write home about. They're black.

GFS floyd: ok ok. This was not my best move. I got a gfs pickup cause I didn't feel like spending more on this project and it's fine, but the floyd had many issues during the process. A few of them are: "aluminium" screws (stripped 2 of the provided screws); no choice in the lock nut size, the stock gfs is an r3..; the block was 27.5mm --> , replaced it with a normal-sized brass block which I am extremely happy with; the trem claw screws weren't the same length. Now, the floyd might end up working alright with all the upgrades I did, the baseplate and saddles look sturdy to be fair. I haven't tried it out yet all that much so cannot comment on this. All I can say is that I was basically forced to upgrade the block and the lock nut, so that's already 50$ down the drain for a total hardly lower than a brand new gotoh.. (wow is this a long unreadable paragraph or what?!).

Oh, we also added a little wood block at the base of the neck to get the scale right. Doesn't seem to affect the tone/sustain and it has the advantage of giving me easier access to the higher frets.

Well, that's all I have to say for the time being on my pink guitar. I am very pleased with it. Still some work required (the truss rod adjustment which is very tricky, some pickup mount springs need to be changed etc) but it's great fun to play on and is something different.

This is for all you 80s nostalgics! Hope you enjoy it and all advice/comments as to any possible improvements are welcome!

ME: Kramer Proaxe
    MB: Ibanez SR605
    Rig: Mark V/5153

Looks really good I love the shape of the body.

ME: Partscaster Plus
    MA: C.F. Martin & Co. D-18
    MB: 68' Fretless P-bass
    Rig: SD9>Yamaha UD>FenderAmp

I have an affinity for pink that is getting a little out of control. Right now I just accessorize; Pink earphones, Pink bicycle seat, Pink messenger bag, Pink pickups / knobs, Pink bunny slippers...

I do aspire, sir.
    Hands are the voice...

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

That looks great! Nice job on the scallops!

ME: BC Rich Ironbird NJ
    MB: BC Rich Warlock Platinium
    Rig: Peavey Ultra 120

I'm glad I could help and that all the inicial troubles were solved (i did screw up on the schematic I drew). That maple neck is soooo sweet to look at !

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Cool headstock. It's got that "hockey stick" kinda thing going on but straighter. Reminds me of that Steinberger Brett Garsed used to play.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

Cool! Reminds me of a Peavey Tracer.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

I had a strat that color ages ago

I like the scallops - Great looking guitar man