Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you my absolute favorite basswood guitar, EVER

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you my absolute favorite basswood guitar, EVER

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you my absolute favorite basswood guitar, EVER

My Squier '51.

You laugh... this thing KILLS for blues, surf, and more classic rock-ish playing. It's like having a Tele, Strat, and humbucker all in one. And the neck is amazing... it's deep but with an excellent profile, very comfortable. I run it with 11-49 and 12-52 (depending on mood) and just dig in.

If you can find a good one, I'd STRONGLY recommend it as they're only $100ish.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: '91 UV7PWH+'91 UV7BK
    Rig: Peavey JSX-Peavey 4/12

That's pretty nice. Gotta love maple fretboards too. Weird, i've had a few people, including guitarists, tell me that my Fender Strat sounds better than my UVs. I believe that my Strat is alder.

ME: Tom Anderson ProAm 7
    Rig: Brunetti XLII R-EVO

aesthetically, i like everything about that guitar.

and the best thing is i could throw a BKP Cold Sweat in the bridge, and have better tone than all the anti-basswood guys!

ME: Shermans
    Rig: JCM800/6100

I've always liked those. I will always have a soft spot for Fenders and Gibsons despite the folks that complain about QC and the like.

I'm not a big fan of yellow..........usually, but that's a beautiful shade of yellow Like custard

Sadly none of these on the bay else I'd be seriously interested in picking one up.

I've been having strange GAS recently, the other guitar I currently want is a Fender Thinline '72 Tele. They're just gorgeous. Plus maple boards

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

I'm not totally anti-basswood, I just don't like it for metal rhythms. However, since that's the main part of my sound I've switched away from basswood guitars.

I've played and owned some seriously nice Squiers for the money though. The nicest was my Subsonic: basically a fixed bridge 27" scale Soloist, but because it said Squier on the headstock and came with no-name pickups I walked out the door with it for 185 new. That was a really, really nice guitar for the money.

Also, during my short stretch working in a guitar store, we had a leftie guy come in to buy a strat. He tried every leftie we had (4 or 5 I think), from a 225 Squier to of the nicer USA models (by that I mean better than the standard in the range). He walked out with the Squier, as that was the one that felt and sounded the best to him, and he was trying guitars out for a looong time that day.

ME: KxK Sii-7
    MA: Martin OMC-1E
    MB: Dingwall Combustion
    Rig: Line 6

I kinda like that! Like you said, it's kind of like both a Strat and a Tele at once! I don't like most Squiers, but some of them actually turn out to be pretty nice.

ME: RG550
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Studio .22

I had a Squier 51 that slayed for blues, with the P90 I put in the bridge. I only sold it because I wanted a Strat.