NBVID (Schecter really hit it out of the park with this one)

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBVID (Schecter really hit it out of the park with this one)

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

NBVID (Schecter really hit it out of the park with this one)

What has 6 bridge-cable strings, a 30" scale, is tuned E to E, and sounds absolutely awesome?

I've wanted one of these since they were announced, but wasn't willing to pay the new price. One of them popped up used for a steal, and since I've started work with a small firm, I could afford to splurge a little bit. I've now had it for about three weeks, so I felt it was time to give it a review.

Compared to the 30" scale OLP MM5 I used to own, this is in another league altogether. The action is relatively low, it plays great without fret buzz, and the variety of tones you can get with three individually-switchable, individually-tappable pickups is fantastic. String tension is lighter than a bass but heavier than a guitar, making it quite easy to play. It's surprisingly lightweight and well-balanced, too, considering the three pickups, long neck, large (albeit slim) body, and paddle-style headstock.

It's a bit more Gibson-y sounding than a traditional Bass VI, probably due to the set neck, TOM/stoptail bridge setup, and humbuckers. A little thicker in the midrange, with a little less treble bite. Still can get quite "clanky" if you want it, and I'm a huge fan of the sort of soulful, slightly scooped tones you get with the middle pickup combined with either the neck or bridge pickup.

What's really cool is how versatile it is. It does djent on the bridge pickup, although I could only do that for about 30 seconds before I rolled the gain down, added delay and reverb, and started playing ambient arpeggiated chords and deep melodic lines.

It sounds especially good through my Sunn T50C, really benefiting from the extended clean low end response, lush reverb, and smooth overdrive channel.

The real shocker was running it into my bass rig, where it had plenty of punch and depth to do "real" bass duties. With just the middle pickup on, it sounds like a P-bass with a little less snap and a bit more thump. I've taken it to band practice twice now, and since I'm in a three-piece I can do traditional bass duties when needed then fill space with power chords and arpeggios when the guitarist is soloing.

Schecter's QC remains fantastic. Great fretwork, clean inlays, no overspray on the binding, the nut is properly slotted, and the bridge has special saddles to fit the larger strings. All this means that it is a genuinely top-quality instrument. It's loud and resonant and feels great.

After my mediocre experience with an OLP MM5 and a few Fender Pawn Shop Bass VIs, I figured that they just weren't for me. But I'm glad that I went and tried this one. I should get a fair bit of use out of it, and the best part is that LaBella makes custom strings (stainless and nickel rounds, as well as flats) specifically for the Schecter Bass VIs, so they're easy and cheap to restring in a variety of methods. Will definitely be interested to try flats down the line.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Gibson SG Special
    MA: Yamaha FSX700SC
    Rig: Fender Deluxe VM

want want want want want want want want want want

ME: Kramer Proaxe
    MB: Ibanez SR605
    Rig: Mark V/5153

Looks cool but I know fuckall about a bass.
    Learn to be quick anyone can be slow

Do you look at the toilet paper after you wipe?

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: Mesa ROV25+V:25+Mesa Cab

Would love to hear it, as well as the Hellraiser Bass VI.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Oh man, I love Bass VI-style instruments! Congratulations dude, that looks awesome!
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Nice, man!
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

Wirelessly posted

Make with the clips! Congrats yo
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD): www.sparrows613.com

ME: Blackjack SLS C-1
    Rig: Peavey VYPYR 75

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson