NGD x2: 24.75" Shredder-palooza

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NGD x2: 24.75" Shredder-palooza

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

NGD x2: 24.75" Shredder-palooza

It's been a busy week for me. Thanks to the proceeds from selling my little-used Steinberger, I was able to pick up the following two 24.75" superstrats:

1990 Jackson Archtop Soloist Pro, courtesy of Garrett

1986 Hamer Chaparral setneck

The AT Pro has EMG 81X and 89X pickups that Garrett put in so that he could woo the ladies of Laramie with his death metal stylings. Not quite my speed anymore. I might go passive with it, but first I'm going to try out the EMG 57/66 set, since I've been curious about them for awhile.

This was the successor model to the 1989 Charvel 750xl, which is my current main guitar. Here are the cousins relaxing together:

The main differences between the two models are that the Charvel has a rosewood board while the Jackson has ebony, and the Charvel has a much thicker body than the Jackson. The Charvel is Les Paul thickness, basically. Here's a photo showing the difference. It also highlights how the neck on the 750xl sits higher off the body, causing the bridge to be positioned higher like a Les Paul. Both guitars have close to the same neck angle, but the Jackson feels "strat-ier" because the bridge sits lower.

Oh, and dat top. Nicest I've ever seen on either a 750xl or an AT Pro.

Here's a photo of the back. Mahogany body with a maple neck.

This AT Pro is a killer guitar all the way around. Probably the best-sounding 750 or AT I've owned, though my current 750 is close. They're different. The 750 has a thicker part of the mids that works great for fusion, while the AT probably does metal better.

Now, for the Hamer. The Chaparral was introduced in 1985, and the first two years' production all had set necks and 24.75" scales. They're easy to distinguish from later Chaparrals with the 25.5" scales because the 24.75" ones all have Strat-style top-mount jacks.

I've been wanting one of these since I saw one hanging on the wall at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center 20 years ago. This one's a beater, so the price was right.

God, I love those boomerang inlays...

This one had the finish stripped years ago. Here's a clue as to the original color (which I kinda wish was still there):

It appears a previous owner had a piezo installation going on (probably 13-pin) and then thought better of it.

The previous owner also took out the original pickups and replaced them with Wolfetones--two singles and a Marshallhead in the bridge. The Marshallhead sounds good, but it's not my sound. Too grainy and not tight enough. Mike and Dave, you'd probably love it for the cover band. It's basically a slightly souped-up PAF with none of the shrill highs of a Duncan '59 or Pearly Gates. I'm probably going to drop in a PRS Dragon 1 that I have sitting around.

ME: Fernandes Ra'Nope
    MA: Fender CE Nope
    MB: Squier Jaguar VintageNope
    Rig: Blackstar Nope 100

HNGD!!! Nice guits love that vintage Charvel with the Milwaukee Brewers style writing on the headstock.

ME: Kramer Proaxe
    MB: Ibanez SR605
    Rig: Mark V/5153

Cool guitars I need to try out a 24.75.
    Learn to be quick anyone can be slow

Do you look at the toilet paper after you wipe?

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

LP scale > Strat scale

ME: Strat
    Rig: MKV25, Port City OS Wave

Nice Hamer, man! Love them. Pretty burst on the Jack too.

ME: ESP Sexy Finger
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: Randall V2

those look sweet man, interesting to see the thicker body on the charvel, schecter kinda did that on the ATX line

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

The one thing that sucks about having the thick body on the 750 is that there is no case out there that fits it. I didn't get the OHSC with it, and I'd have to have a case custom made for it.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL