New player looking for advice

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New player looking for advice

New player looking for advice

I have been playing guitar for 6 months. All I really know is power chords. When I try to play other chords, it just doesn't sound good for hard rock. All I want to do is write good music, but it just seems like at this point I'm having very little progress....Any suggestions?

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

The only thing you can really do is put in the time man. Everyone sucks when they've only been playing for 6 months, don't sweat it.

ME: Fernandes Ra'Nope
    MA: Fender CE Nope
    MB: Squier Jaguar VintageNope
    Rig: Blackstar Nope 100

But seriously just pick out some areas you want to improve in and ask questions about everything, you may also want to get a teacher as they'll be more experienced, and can help get rid of bad habits you may have and they'll see your strengths and weaknesses, and help you improve on those. I don't know how much time you have on your hands but dedicate as much time as you can to playing and you'll start seeing improvements, just be patient and have fun doing it.
    Last edited by Joshua; 01-10-2014 at 01:46 AM.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Hell, I've been playing for 20 years and I still suck!

ME: Agile Septor Pro727
    Rig: Vox Valvetronix

listen to alot of the kind of music you want to sound like

Pure Riffery

ME: Les Paul Standard
    Rig: Randall RD45

In just six months you aren't going to be able to set the world on fire. I've been playing about a good year now and can only do intros to a few songs and a bit of rhythm. Stand by Me is about the only thing I can play in full and it still sounds like shit. Practice, practice, practice is all I can say. You can do a good bit with power chords and major chords though. Throw the pentatonic scale in there and you'll be on your way. Heck, most 80's rock was power chord stuff.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

Quote Originally Posted by shredasaurus View Post
    listen to alot of the kind of music you want to sound like
    I agree, but also try to play a few different other styles that interest you. if open chords don't sound great for the harder stuff, try some other styles where those kind of chords sound good - you'll enjoy playing them more and get better at them. then you can start working those chords into rock/metal. They say the sign of a a good song is one that can work in different styles.

also if your chords sound messy, try turning the gain down a little until the notes ring out better. Usually you need far less gain than you realise (a lesson that took me years to learn )

other than that, just try to enjoy the never ending quest of trying to get better you've now been suckered into like the rest of us

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

there is a lot to be said for learning songs in their entirety. Dont just learn bits here and there. Sit down and learn to play stuff start to finish and you will improve.

Also as the other guys have said unless you have a 8 hr a day practice regime i wouldnt expect you to really be that great after 6 months!