Time to buy a new guitar - advice needed

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to buy a new guitar - advice needed

ME: Jackson SLATTXMG3-7
    Rig: Bugera 6262

Time to buy a new guitar - advice needed

I just sold my C7 so it's new guitar time. I've got a few models on my eye but I need some advice. Here are the guitars that I'm thinking about:

1. Ibanez RGIR27E - I like the looks of it a lot, but I'm not very fond of EMGs as I like to roll of the gain and just solo around on crunch so I'm worried about their performance in that matter. After playing the RG 927 I found the neck to be thicker than expected (thicker and more square than the prestige counterpart), so I'm a bit unsure of this one. Available in a shop nearby, will visit on Wednesday to test.

2. Jackson SLATTXMG3-7 - I've played the floyded version and it was super comfortable, but once again - it has EMG 707s which I'm not particularly fond of... The nearby shop has the TOM silverburst version which I'm going to test soon, but I'd rather have a floyded guitar...

3. Jackson Broderick Soloist Pro 7 - I love the looks of it, seems to have all the features that I'd like to have (Dimarzio pickups, floyd rose bridge, coil splitting, etc.). Unfortunately, no shops in my area have it in stock and I'm a bit worried about the 12" radius - so far I've only played guitars that have 14-17" radius and I really love the neck of my RG550... Will this radius prove problematic for bends/anything else (like low action)? If not, I'll probably order one in Snow White

Any other suggestions in that price range? Used market is not an option, as apart from very overpriced RG7620s (about 900$ used), cool 7 strings rarely pop up here... I'd also like to avoid baseball bat necks like the C7 had as I have small hands and prefer ruler-thin (but still round, like the 2002 super wizard) necks.

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: Mesa ROV25+V:25+Mesa Cab

I'd go for the S7 version of that Ibanez, which comes with Dimarzio PAF's instead of EMG's. No experience with the others though.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer

Thanks, will definitely test it - it's available in the same store.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Keep in mind that both Bare Knuckle and Seymour Duncan can do passive pickups in the rectangular EMG "soapbar" housing.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Really, the feel is the bigger question: do you get along better with Jackson or Ibanez necks. Modern Ibanez necks have hard sholders that cramp my hands up, so I can't play them.

EMGs aren't all that tough to replace these days, considering that several manufactures make EMG route passives. You can also buy the plastic covers and mount a pickup to the inside of them.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

Thanks for the answers - I'm going to the store tomorrow to play what they have in stock. If I decide on any other guitar than the Broderick, I'll probably add a cheap six string (maybe a tele) to the shopping cart. I'll let you know how it goes!

ME: RG550
    MB: EXB445
    Rig: 5153/Orange

The nitro neck on the RGIR is actually pretty nice, but heed Dave's advice, there's some serious shoulders on newer models - the S series expecially.

I liked my RGIR27E a LOT.. too bad about the weather warped neck (not Ibanez's fault).

ME: Robbins custom 7
    MA: ovation celebrity
    MB: Tobias
    Rig: peavey JSX/EVH 5153 4x12

i know you just sold a c-7, but these are such awesome guitars haha. Definitely would be worth checking in to if you have not already