Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Daniel's RG project

14K views 155 replies 27 participants last post by  Daniel 
#1 ·
Wanted to separate this from the Mai thread. Today I had my apprentice sand all the finish off the body.

Before:

After:

I was hopeful that the finish was lacquer, but it isn't. I don't even think it's poly, I'm not sure what it is truthfully. It reminds me of house paint. The thing I noticed is it had no odor when coming off, which isn't typical of poly or lacquer finish. It came off really easy, and there wasn't even a sealer coat under the finish, it was just directly on the wood.

The body is getting my whitewash finish with black pore fill, Daniel is a big fan of that look. The neck I'll be building is going to have a birdseye maple fretboard and a 3 piece hard maple/soft flamed maple/hard maple neck. I'll also do an ash overlay on the headstock.

The body is already almost ready for finish again, my apprentice did a great job on it today, but I'm not going to be able to do anything until the Bleachtone I ordered comes in. That's what I use to do my whitewash finish, it makes it so the wood is nearly perfectly white, that way when I pore fill over it you don't see any of the natural pores, you just see my filler. The Bleachtone can even be mixed with the sealer to deepen the white effect. It's not trans white.

The headstock is going to be the red variant on this image:

The red line is my apprentice's idea, and I agree with him that it looks better.

See less See more
#30 ·
Routed the taper into the neck, as well as the truss rod slot. Also worked on flattening the headstock area. It has a little more to go, but I want to get the shape cut on it before I go any further, too much surface area to sand as it stands now. Still waiting to hear back from Daniel on whether he wants standard or reverse headstock. I'd assume reverse, but that could get me in trouble if I'm wrong :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.