As most of you know, I've taken on a build for Hal, basically to right some wrongs committed by bad luthiers.
Here's the sketch Hal sent:
He sent a couple of others as well, but this being the most recent revision is what I'll base my render on.
Here's my render, which I just sent off to Hal for approval:
I left the bevels and carves off since I'll be doing those by hand, based on the sketch.
Specs are as follows:
- maple / wenge 5 piece thru-neck
- mahogany back
- quilted maple top
- ebony fretboard (no markers)
- black stained satin finish
- 27” scale
- 24 frets
- White side dots
- 3 way pickup selector (neck – middle – bridge)
- N-tune onboard tuner / volume pot combo
- bridge pickup series / parallel mini-switch
- neck pickup series / parallel mini-switch
- Bare Knuckle Pickups Juggernaut covered soap bar neck & bridge passive humbuckers
- Strandberg headless trem unit
- ABM 7087b headless locking nut piece
- Straplock stem ports (upper stem placement on back of body, lower stem at the end of upper base horn)
Here's the hardware Hal has provided thus far:
And here is the quilted maple top we'll be using:
This was a 4-5A quilt top until I split it open and discovered all those voids, but it will work perfectly for what Hal wants, kind of a distressed overall look. That's why I kept it around instead of throwing it out, planned on eventually finding a use for it.
Should be able to glue up the neck blank today and get this thing going.
That is going to be an interesting build.