Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NGD - '10 Ibanez Jem505

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  jim777 
#1 ·
Firstly, this is NOT one of the Korean/Indonesian made Jem 555s, this is a Japanese Prestige guitar that was very short lived. It's sort of a cheaper version of the original maple boarded Jems, with the basswood body, original Edge, Jem carve neck, and again Japanese prestige level construction. Differences are the lack of the scallop on the last 4 frets, little dot inlays, and Ibanez pickups. I can (through enormous personal sacrifice) live without the top 4 frets being scalloped, and I was going to put Gravity Storms in it if I didn't throw Barts in it anyway. Also light as a feather at 6.5 pounds on my bathroom scale.

So for me, my absolute favorite neck carve ever with a maple board on the cheap. :) I will definitely be looking to get another of these, and maybe swirl it or something else goofy. I have nothing neon pink at the moment, so there's that option as well.

I'm working from home today so busy at the moment, but a pic to get it started (more and better pics shortly):

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome! I always loved these things. Throw a good set of DiMarizio's in there and you're good to go. You'll be shredding it like Vai in no time Jim! I like the weight too, more and more nowadays I just can't be bothered with heavy guitars.

Is that a cool older Ibanez Artist I see underneath it?

#8 ·
#13 ·
OK, some actual photos taken with a camera :) This guitar is virtually inseparable from SpongeBob ('92 RG550) now, so SB is in nearly all these pics as well. Eh, it is what it is.

Front on body, V series pickups and original edge

the back, with the 550 there for comparison sake

Neck shot, showing the smaller dots of the Jem

familiar Ibby headstocks...

And finally the scarf of the 550 vs. the volute of the Jem. the sticker on the back of the 550 headstock says "this is an Officially Licensed Product of the National Hockey League". It came off a hat and has been there a few years now I think.

#19 ·
The pickguard is covered in Contact paper. That was how I got rid of the single coil route. Honestly, you can't get much cheaper LOL. the Habs sticker is basically on top of another bigger sticker on top of the pickguard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.