Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PRS SE 7 String

ME: Fernandes Ra'Nope
    MA: Fender CE Nope
    MB: Squier Jaguar VintageNope
    Rig: Blackstar Nope 100

Need help choosing a 7 string

I'm thinking about getting one, but none of the guitar stores in my area carry them currently. Have any of you guys tried them and if so did you like it?

FWIW I'm stuck between this, the Solar 170c, and an Ibanez RGD 7421. Yeah, I know very different guitars, but they're the only ones on the 7 string market that appeal to me.
    You miss 100% of the Nope you don't Nope.

Don't give up Nope.

ME: KxK Sii-7ex
    MA: Yamaha FGX700SC
    MB: Warwick Corvette 5
    Rig: JCA22

I have one and can't stop playing it. But it is the best PRS SE I've ever played so I may just have lucked out with a great one.

ME: Strat
    Rig: MKV25, Port City OS Wave

Fwiw, the SE is gonna be the best out of your options listed. Get it. And fuck her right in the pussy.

ME: Fernandes Ra'Nope
    MA: Fender CE Nope
    MB: Squier Jaguar VintageNope
    Rig: Blackstar Nope 100

Idk man, going by what Lopez said maybe he got a 1/1,000,000 jem of a SE but I'd just like to give the guitars a try before I buy them. I know the Solars should be coming in soon (a few stores on Ebay have them already) so I'll be able to try those out sometime this month or in November. I think the RGD 7421 is discontinued as Ibanez only has the Prestige model listed on it's sight , so the odds of me playing one of those in a local store are small.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

The SEs I've played have been pretty consistently good, and the one 7 string was no exception.

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

The RGD7421 has been fairly well received, although I've only played one of them (it was fairly awesome). I was less impressed with the SE7.
    I want to try a Solar though.

ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

Joshua, ever played an SE?
    While I can tell they're really great for the money, I always get the "it's just not for me" feeling when playing one. Whatever you decide to get, make sure you can return it if you don't like it. You have better chances of liking it since almost everyone have a positive opinion about the SE's... But man, personal tastes are personal.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club

ME: RG3570z
    MA: Breedlove Pursuit Concert
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Mark Five:25

Haven't played the Solar, but have spent a lot of time noodling on the RGD & the SE. If I had to choose between those 2 I'd say it really depends on what you are going for. They are both pretty nice for the price, and could both benefit from the same upgrades right off the bat (pickups and tuners) Do you tune down? The 25" scale length on the SE would need some pretty beefy strings to sound good in drop A or lower (IMO). Do you like painted necks? I hate em personally, but am pretty comfortable sanding them down so that never deters me too much. If I was tuning down to drop A or whatever I'd probably grab the RGD because with the longer scale it feels great tuned down and you don't have to go SO beefy on the string gauges. The RGD7421 necks are a little "boxy" though, which I've always hated about the lower end ibanez guitars. Either way you are getting a decent guitar for the price. They are so different it is odd to compare them though