Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Pulled the trigger... ordered a Thorn R/S Hardtail Custom! \m/

Tags
thorn
8K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
Well after some careful consideration I decided to pull the trigger on one of the new Thorn R/S models! :hbang: I called Ron up the day the specs were posted and asked him more about the new "Precision-Lock" neck design so once I heard all the details I pretty much made up my mind to grab one as it sounds like a truly awesome design. :yesway: Here are the specs on mine:

Thorn R/S Hardtail Custom:

- Streaky Black Limba body and neck
- Honduran Rosewood fretboard
- 10" Radius
- 25.5" scale
- 1.670 nut width
- 2Tek Hardtail bridge
- 6-inline Locking Tuners with no string tree
- Number of Frets - 22
- Fretwire - Jumbo Stainless Steel
- Volume (lower than the prototype model so I don't clip it with my pinky :lol:), Tone (push-pull coil split for the humbucker) and 5-way blade switch
- Nickel hardware
- H-S-S setup: Pasadena '86 (hotter) bridge, Pasadena Classic '57s neck/middle (the Pasadena models are the Thorn/Gaudesi pickups)
- RS Superpots & Switchcraft electronics
- Dunlop Dual-Design Strap Buttons
- Inlay: Mastodon Ivory Dots and Firesun @ 12th fret
- Ultra-thin Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish
- Color: Brazilian Burst (matching Jr 90 #09)
- Strings: .010-.046
- Deluxe leather-bound G&G hardshell case

:yum:

Anyone who got to play my Junior 90 has a pretty good idea how this will sound (Ron said they can get pretty close! :D) and the pickups for this guitar are wound by John Gaudesi who was the same guy who helped with the Stapletop P-90 pickups in the Jr 90s. :metal: I can't wait, looking like an 8-ish week build time! :cool: I'll be posting some pictures soon, I think I get pictures of my wood blanks tomorrow so if I get some I'll update the thread as they arrive! :yesway:

I posted the thread with pictures of these guys over on ss.org but for anyone who missed them here are some pics to give you an idea:

This is what the 2Tek bridge looks like for anyone who hasn't seen one before:

Everything I've heard about these bridges basically says they are very clear and the guitar they have retrofit with them "ring like a piano" apparently. We shall see, I hear good things! :D

See less See more
#4 ·
I actually play my guitars.... ;) Nah I like the PRS design but I think for the money there are better guitars out there and I'd rather pay the premium on a small luthier-built guitar rather than the same price on a new PRS. :shrug:

#5 ·
I would never buy a PRS new - the prices on used ones are much more feasable (and how one of my buddy owns a good 5 or 6 lol)

congrats on yet another custom build!

how many guitars have you bought vs sold in the last month, curiosity wants to know

#12 ·
Indeed that's how I feel about them too man. :yesway: It's worth the extra cash to me for a quality instrument. :)

So is lee in the market for a thorn now? :lol:
Hehe... nah Lee doesn't play 6'ers, only 7+ for him.

Man, that looks awesome.

Is the neck kind of a bolt-on dovetail? The pocket extends further up the side than I'm used to seeing with that kind of clearance. Also the bolts are closer together on the bottom end of the neck than on the top.

I like the machine screw attachment, too... I assume there are steel inserts in the neck to make a good joint. Too bad not many other manufacturers do that.

Oh, and I call dibs on your Oni when it comes in... the spec sheet on that Oni reads like my dream guitar pretty much, except I'd have gone with an HS pickup config. :p
Yeah Ron did just that, bolt-on dovetail with stainless steel inserts and bolts. Here is the full info from him:

Ron Thorn said:
Once again, Team Thorn is proud to introduce a new line-up: The SoCal Custom Series. The first 2 models in the series are the "R/S" and the "G/T". Or, Chevy vs Ford as we've been calling them.
Basics:
The concept was to take a classic design, improve where needed, and add a number of modern details which produce a true player's guitar. It feels familiar yet has enhancements that invites pushing your creativity to the next level - without any physical limitations from the instrument. Non-traditional body and neck tone-woods were carefully chosen to complement the classic sounds of it's predecessors.
Classic Tones / Modern Playability.
Specifics:
The new "Precision Lock" neck pocket design provides 8% more solid contact surface-area over a traditional rectangular neck pocket by interlocking the neck and body through a custom dove-tail lap joint. This joint completely eliminates any gaps, shifting necks, or the need for shims.
Stainless Steel machine screws, threaded into inserts installed under the fretboard, mates the body and neck into a completely rock-solid, sustain enhancing coupling. The 2+2 ferrule & back-plate configuration allows for a contoured heel with unmatched hand comfort and effortless upper-fret access.
Small details such as rotating the 5-way switch on the R/S to prevent accidental position switching, rolled fretboard edges, and locking tuners are just some of the refinements that add to the playability of the instruments.
Nice try on the Oni but that's going to be my only 7 for a long time and considering how long I've been GASing for the Parker 7 that never came out I'm EXTREMELY excited for that one and I consider it like my Thorns. :D

Got any info on that 2Tek bridge? I tried Google, and all I could find was lots of pages talking about them not being made any more.
You know it's funny James, I was looking for that too. :( The guy who makes them currently goes by the name of "Zilmo" on both TGP and BAM forums and his first name is Mike but he doesn't have a website promoting the bridges so I'm not really sure what that's about. :lol: I'd love to see the specs and whatnot on the bridges as they look really cool. Ron told me that it was extremely well made and the price is about the same as one of his (Ron's) solid brass trem systems so it must be good. :yesway:

#9 ·
Man, that looks awesome.

Is the neck kind of a bolt-on dovetail? The pocket extends further up the side than I'm used to seeing with that kind of clearance. Also the bolts are closer together on the bottom end of the neck than on the top.

I like the machine screw attachment, too... I assume there are steel inserts in the neck to make a good joint. Too bad not many other manufacturers do that.

Oh, and I call dibs on your Oni when it comes in... the spec sheet on that Oni reads like my dream guitar pretty much, except I'd have gone with an HS pickup config. :p

#13 ·
One of the local bassists around here has a bass with a bridge that looks like that... it might be a 2tek? It's on a $4k+ handmade flamed koa bass, so it's already an insane instrument, but it does sound very, very nice.

#14 ·
Oh very cool! :yesway: Yeah Dan said that he thought Hamer might have used them before too. :shrug: I only found out about them recently when I started seeing him mod other people's guitars with his bridges and really liked them but didn't want to route up one of my guitars to try one. This way I get it OEM and I know the install will be immaculate with Ron performing it! :D

#19 ·
Some progress for you guys:

What started out as this:

Now looks like this:

OM NOM NOM!!!! :yum: Ron's currently working on kicking out some Artisans so it will be a little longer but I'm excited, that Brazilian Burst came out perfect! :hbang:

#23 ·
Thorn does great work, but I think I'd prefer the Suhr honestly. I mean, I've played neither, but I like the Suhr aesthetic and wood choices a little more.

#24 · (Edited)
Yep, different strokes. I like what John does too, but Ron adds more of a personal touch to his stuff and I'll take small shop over factory anytime, especially since the price is the same. :rofl: I've owned/played enough of Ron's guitars to know what I'm getting and although they are pricier than off-the-shelf stuff, it's worth more than he's asking so I think it's win-win. :shrug:

Plus since you mentioned it, in terms of wood choices I'll take black limba over basswood + maple any day honestly. :)

#25 ·
I think it's mainly because I'm more of a modern-strat guy than a Gibson/PRS/vintage Fender guy. And a lot of the Suhrs I really like the look of are alder or ash. Not that I really have anything against basswood for what I do anyways. :shrug:

#29 ·
That has forever been my problem with Strats. Especially with that gorgeous piece of limba.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.