Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Rg750 blasphemy?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Skadsson 
#1 ·
One of the things I like about my 88 rg750 is that it is all original,one thing I hate is the pickups. I'm thinking of buying an HH pickguard and an Emg set. Is this going to cause problems with the ibanez gods? Is this like taking original parts off of a classic car?

#2 ·
Wirelessly posted

Nope, that sounds like a great idea to me.

That's actually one thing I like about the whole spectrum of Ibanez guitars. They seem ready made to customize to your tastes, they are easy and fun to mod, and it's also easy to go back to stock if you ever desire.

#11 ·
If you want the new pickguard, why not?

I'd just drop the middle single to be flush with the guard and throw in whatever two humbuckers you'll use and leave the single unwired. That's just me though.
Exactly what I did to my 550. dropped the single coil and its pole pieces to be flush with the pickguard, dropped in a d-activator in the bridge and a super 2 in the neck. Furthermore replaced the 5 way with a 3 way, removed the tone pot and put the vol pot in the tone position instead. No bullshit shred machine. Highly recommend tweaks like that.

#7 ·
Do it
I recently grabbed a mint completely original 1550M shipped over from japan,
changed out all 3 pickups and the trem arm assembly.
Now its' "my guitar" and I love it. I kept all of the original parts, I could set it back to original in about an hour 1/2.

#8 ·
It's like a given that every Ibanez RG with stock pickups will have them torn out and replaced with something else. My 87 RG550 has a TZ in the bridge, my RGR480 a Norton bridge and PAF Pro neck.

No one buys an RG in mint stock condition to collect it. It's not a Gibson. They're bought to be a hot rod guitar that gets even further modded by its owner to forge a weapon and a bond that will be used to vanquish the foes of metal. That and they're cheap and well made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.