After a couple of days of Manowarcaster playing I STILL have trouble with the Gotoh Floyd staying in tune.
Now this was an issue with a guitar I installed a Gotoh floyd on too a year ago or two, and that thing just didn't stay in tune but after about 4-5 days something magical happened and it was suddenly super stable.
Of course, the Manowarcaster hasn't been around for even 3 days, but I still wonder what the fuck is going on here.
1. Bushings are tight as fuck (best fit I've ever done)
2. Locking nut sits tight
3. Neck is screwed on as hard as I can
4. I've even reinforced the neck pocket with some tape, making the neck fit even tighter
5. Internal hex screws inside studs are locked
6. Strings sit perfectly centered in the saddle slots
7. The bridge sits as flat as my eye can see
8. I have tried the following spring combinations:
/I\ <--- worst, always going flat after divebomb
III <--- worked better, but was actually going sharp more than flat, even tho still getting flat after divebombing. And if I'm not completely mad,I noticed a decrease of sustain...
/II <--- current position, and this far, works the best. Also the sustain seems to be "back", but still not as good as the /I\ position. But I may just be crazy and imagine things...
9. I have even oiled the knife edges and saddles
10. The knife edges looks okay to me, but I'm not sure. The black finish has worn off, but from what I know and my experience, that always happens on knife edges, but you can still feel a bit "rough" area where the finish has come off, but my other Floyds have looked like this, without a problem. Even my old OFR had a very visible crack, which you could feel with the nail, and it still worked just fine.
11. The stud looks fine too.
12. Strings are stretched
So, is there something I have missed out here? Because this is making me so pissed! I've setup many Gotoh Floyds and the last two Floyds I setup was no problem at all, it was just put in the springs, set the intonation and make the bridge flat, and ready to rock out. But seeing as I have gone through every possible way to make this work I dont know what to do any more
The guitar plays fine, and keeps the tuning fairly well during normal playing, but once I divebomb, it goes flat, and I have to pullup or flutter the bridge and it comes back. I know this sounds like a knife edge issue, but seeing as I inspected them and think they look OK, I have no idea!
It's takes a few days for the knife edges and posts to become 'mated' to each other. Basically when they contour to each other. That 0.001 degree off from the trem not returning to zero would be the cause of it. Happens with all brand new Floyd style bridges.