NGD: Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: NGD: Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe

ME: Fernandes Ravelle
    MB: Yamaha TRBX305
    Rig: Digitech GSP1101

NGD: Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe

Here's the story: Usually around this time of year my wife, rather than go through the pains of shopping, just tells me "you have X amount of money to buy yourself something".

As such, I've been browsing the local shops, Reverb & E-Bay looking for things that might be in my price range. I had a few on short list when she finally gave the green light on how much I could spend, the Ravelle I was looking at was $510 + shipping, which put it out of range. The next day, I got a notice from Reverb that the price was lowered by 19% which put it at $425 (including a hardshell case). So, I spent the night thinking about it and before work the next morning I got another notice that someone had sent the seller an offer.

Now, it's "sack up" time. If I wait until I get home from work, there's a good chance it'll be gone. Needless to say, I snagged it right away and since the seller is in Canada I won't get dinged for import/duty charges. I've been wanting a Ravelle for years but always kind of hesitated to get one because a) I've been playing in drop tunings for quite some time and guitars with a 24.75" scale don't do so well if you go too low and b) any ones I've come across have been way too expensive.

Since everything seemed to be falling into place, it would have been tempting fate to NOT buy it. Even more, about 20 years ago I had a trans-red double cutaway Washburn that I really regretted selling and along comes this Ravelle that's EXACTLY the same color.

So, without further ado:

It's in perfect condition aside from a small chip in the clear coat on the front. The pickups are a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge & a Jazz in the neck and the action is probably the lowest I've ever played without having dead spots in the upper frets. I'll even go so far to say that it'll probably be the nicest guitar I'll ever own.
    Last edited by Spinedriver; 10-21-2015 at 11:41 PM.

ME: Caparisons
    MA: Takamine PTU220 Custom
    MB: Ibanez ATK300
    Rig: Bogner Ecstasy 101A/B

Nice. I've always had a soft spot for the Ravelles. They're ugly in an endearing way.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

Congrats! I've got the same pickups in my les paul, they sound awesome. Enjoy!
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD):

ME: Fernandes Ravelle
    MB: Yamaha TRBX305
    Rig: Digitech GSP1101

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    Congrats! I've got the same pickups in my les paul, they sound awesome. Enjoy!
    I've only had it for a day so I'm still trying to get used to them but I'm still on the fence about swapping it out for a custom made pickup made by a friend of mine who has a pickup company (gratuitous plug: Sanford Magnetics). The one in my Ibanez RGD has a lot more "body" to it than the JB. In that the low end has more weight to it where the JB is a bit smoother on the high end.

The big question is: Do I just make separate settings for each guitar and keep the JB in the Ravelle just to have a bit of variety or do I save up some cash and swap it out so they both can be interchangeable. After spending $550 ($480 for the guitar plus shipping and $75 for a 5 space guitar rack on the way home), I most CERTAINLY won't get away with dropping another $125 on a replacement pickup in what is already a pretty kick-ass guitar.