Shopping for an Ibby 7 string

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for an Ibby 7 string

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

Shopping for an Ibby 7 string

I've got plenty of 6's and two 8's but have been 7-less for 3-4 years now. The 8's are fun and get me by but I really only use them for just messing around on at home. For me they aren't really useful in the real world.

Trying to keep it under $1k so I've been looking at the Iron Label series and have it narrowed down to one of these two so far.

The RGIX27FESM:
    Electric Guitars RG - RGIX27FESM Iron Label | Ibanez guitars

Or the RGIF7:
    Electric Guitars RG - RGIF7 Iron Label | Ibanez guitars

I know they have the stupid soap bar EMGs but but I can just get some Blackouts which I don't mind or some passives from Duncan in the active housings so that's not a big deal.

The pros of the RGIX27FESM... ebony board and I really dig the foggy blue color going on. About the only thing I don't like is that it's only a 25.5" scale. Not a deal breaker though.

The pros of the RGIF7... I dig the fuck out of the Iceman headstock on a 7 and the scale going from 27 to 25.5" Having a straight 27" scale would be optimal but I don't mind the fanned frets. At least to lower stings are extended. What I don't like is the color is kinda blah.

They kind of even out on the pros vs. cons. I know some people don't like the Iron Label series but the few I've played were good. Sure they might need a little work and I expect that with every guitar anymore but they were also at Guitar Center and they aren't exactly known for their stellar set-ups. lol

Anybody ever check out these specific models?

ME: Jackson KV5, COW
    Rig: 6505

Yes! For once I have actually played a guitar mentioned in a thread. Last week I stumbled across the RGIF7 in a local shop. I usually don't care much for Ibbys since I don't enjoy their necks but since this one had fanned frets (which I had never played before) and looked pretty cool overall It caught my eye. Spent ten minutes with it unplugged. The set up was super bad but the fanned frets configuration felt good and the general feel and look was really nice. I didn't notice any flaws. The finish looked more vibrant and considerably better in real life on the particular guitar I played compared to the pics on the Ibby site. Normally I also prefer Ebony boards but in this case the brown rosewood goes well with the colour of the body. If I were in the market for a new 7 this would be one of my top contenders.

Awesome. I'm kind of leaning a bit more towards the RGIF7. Good to know the finish does look a bit better in person.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Just get a 7620.

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: USA Jazz Special
    Rig: ENGL

Wouldn't you rather go with one of the slightly older Prestige models Donnie? I thought they were better?
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

I could but I kind of want something brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Just get a 7620.
    Yeah, but they are boring. And it seems that anymore people want WAY to much for them.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

If you're gonna go new, go with the fanned fret one. All those goofy stained spalted burst things look super cheap in person.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Kramer Proaxe
    MB: Ibanez SR605
    Rig: Mark V/5153

I may have just the guitar for you.
    Learn to be quick anyone can be slow

Do you look at the toilet paper after you wipe?