Ibanez Edge vs OFR vs Gotoh Floyd range?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibanez Edge vs OFR vs Gotoh Floyd range?

ME: Warmoth Superstrat

Ibanez Edge vs OFR vs Gotoh Floyd range?

I was looking through some guitars in a store and I found a used Ibanez RG470 that felt decent, except the bridge couldn't stay in tune if its life depended on it. Must be some cheaper version of Edge. I'm not Ibby expert. But I did like that I could slack the strings completely!

I can't really do that with my OFR guitars. They feel stiffer and even when pushed to the max, the strings dont slack at all. My Gotoh Floyds are better in this department, they feel looser and I can almost slack them.
    But still not as much as that RG470.

Are the better real Edge and Lo-Pros like this too?

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

The RG470's have had wildly varying bridge specs over the years, but the vast majority of them have had lower quality trems like the TRS or Edge 3. A real Edge or Lo-Pro Edge are exceptionally good trems, arguably as good as the OFR (mainly the choice comes down to personal taste).
    I'm so metal I shit bats

My band > WALK IN COMA

ME: Warmoth Superstrat

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The RG470's have had wildly varying bridge specs over the years, but the vast majority of them have had lower quality trems like the TRS or Edge 3. A real Edge or Lo-Pro Edge are exceptionally good trems, arguably as good as the OFR (mainly the choice comes down to personal taste).
    That I know, I wouldn't buy anything without a good bridge.
    I know the good ones; the bad Ibby ones are a gigantic jungle I'm not even interested in.

But thats not the question here. Does the higher end Ibby trems have the same range as that particular shit bridge on the RG470 I tried?
    I haven't played my Ibanezes but I was impressed with the range of it.
    That I could slack the strings.
    Can't do that very easily with my OFR or Gotoh Floyds

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter Avenger 7
    Rig: HD500/KRKs

I know you like your Gotohs so an Edge would be right up your alley since Gotoh produced those. Can't say I've done a direct side-by-side comparison but the Edges tend to have pretty decent range on average.

The Lo Pro can go pretty down, so down the string will be like hot spaghetti.

A thing I notice sometime ago that and was a bit surprised was that my S540 Lo Pro Edge Fine tuners are a lot more easy and smooth than any other FR I tried, being it OFR or any of their copies.

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    But thats not the question here. Does the higher end Ibby trems have the same range as that particular shit bridge on the RG470 I tried?
    I haven't played my Ibanezes but I was impressed with the range of it.
    That I could slack the strings.
    Can't do that very easily with my OFR or Gotoh Floyds
    Yes. Yes they can.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'd say the original Edge is as good as the Schaller licensed Floyds, since they're cast metal base plates with case hardened knife edge inserts. Only the current Gotoh is as good as an OFR, since it is the only other bridge where the entire base plate is case hardened.
    Noodles
    Division: American Metal without the suck.
    kxksales@gmail.com

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Ibanez UV7PWH
    Rig: Mesa Roadking II

I've played edges and lo pros for as long as I can remember. They stand up to tons of abuse and have a great range. In my mind it's simply the best floyd rose out there, and I prefer them to OFRs as they feel nicer. Also, the fine tuners are nowhere near as stiff as the OFRs I've had and have.

As for slacking the strings completely, that is a yes. A set up edge / lo pro edge will do that, and have a nice upward pull range.

Also, and this will be of interest to you, the edge and lo pro edge equipped guitars (NOT the edge pro, edge3, or any other trems) also came with locking studs. Basically, set the height of the trem, and then with a small allen key, you lock the studs in place. Gives awesome tuning stability as the posts cannot move at all. (If adjusting you have to remember to loosen them, as if you adjust without doing so you will break the post)
    One thing I do to my edges and lo pros is that I mount a schaller trem bar on them as whilst the edge bar is good, I just prefer the feel and solidity of the schallers.

also, the edge3, lo trs and edge pro bridges (the edge pro looks like an edge, but has the string baskets) are just not great. the edge pro is ok, but lacks the locking studs. the trs is a pile of shit. the edge 3, well, just a cheap floyd knock aoff, with saddles that break if abused, so again, avoid.

the edges, well, I've abused them, toured them, mangled them, and they all still work and stay in tune. I've bought guitars where the bridge looked like it had been in the titanic that have still cleaned up well and just worked. They are awesome bridges, very well made, and excellent feel.

Oh, also, the edge is a better trem if you want flutter and all that for some reason, never figured out why.