NAMM 2017: Ibanez reveals 55 new electric, acoustic and bass guitars - Page 7

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: NAMM 2017: Ibanez reveals 55 new electric, acoustic and bass guitars

ME: Warmoth Superstrat

Gibsons are supposed to be PLEKed from factory?!

Some Gibsons I've seen in local guitar store, and a guitar a friend bought, had uneven action at nut! Some strings was a little higher and some was lower.
    One other guitar he bought had TWISTED NECK from factory!

I dont think Ibaneze RGs feel very well out of the box either, I think the guitars I've tried (even Prestiges!) in guitar stores have high action!

Is this true?! I mean, Ibanez is usually synonymous with low action racer guitars.

Why do they come with high action out of the box? Shouldn't they try to have low action like their target audience wants?

I tried a Ibanez Premium RG a couple of weeks ago in Stockholm and it was unplayable, but the Edge Zero kept in super good tuning, I must say

ACtually I have some ESP Arming Adjusters ordered that I will demo soon!

Well.. they ship it from another continent so expecting them to be properly setup and in tune is a bit off... yeah stores should do a proper setup on them but they cant bother since that costs money. Its like having rusty strings on Store guitars... its the Guitar brand or distributor that has to pay for them to change the strings to new ones at least every month or so and Brands never pay for it.

If you buy a Guitar at a store im sure they will give it a proper Setup (if the store is credible) but I understand wanting to try a guitar and everything is super High action with 6 month old Strings that leave rust in our fingers...

Just curious have you tried one of those EVH Stripped series? I know 22 frets and only one Humbucker and no OFR but you might be surprised.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Weird thing, a friend bought a IBANEZ GIO (yes GIO!!!!!) that was super fast and low action. I liked it a lot.
    Same with a mid-level MTM2 Slipknot guitar. That one was like SUPER NICE!!!!! One of the best playing RGs I've tried

How comes the GIO had great racer action, while a Prestige and a Premium I've tried had high grandpa oldfart action?

Maybe just maybe because they made the Gios for noobs as first guitars and they know those persons need a proper first good reaction to the guitar and that the others everybody will take them to their Luthier for a proper Setup as first thing after buying the Guitar. So why waste time (and money) by proper setting them up if people will do it on their own

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Well.. they ship it from another continent so expecting them to be properly setup and in tune is a bit off... yeah stores should do a proper setup on them but they cant bother since that costs money. Its like having rusty strings on Store guitars... its the Guitar brand or distributor that has to pay for them to change the strings to new ones at least every month or so and Brands never pay for it.

If you buy a Guitar at a store im sure they will give it a proper Setup (if the store is credible) but I understand wanting to try a guitar and everything is super High action with 6 month old Strings that leave rust in our fingers...

Just curious have you tried one of those EVH Stripped series? I know 22 frets and only one Humbucker and no OFR but you might be surprised.
    Oh well, I dont know exactly how all business that works, but if I worked in a guitar store I would NOT let guitars stand around being crappily setup.

My local store does NOT setup guitars when sold. It was the store I went to for buying a Jackson bass, and I said the first fret buzzed a lot and one of the tuners was misaligned enough to obstruct with another tuner, and they was like "how often do you even play there anyway?" and "you could fix the tuner yourself"... They wanted me so bad to buy the bass even tho I found these big issues that should not be there on a brand new bass.

The 1st fret buzzing aside, the bass was one of the best playing basses I've had my hands on! If it wasn't forthe buzz on the 1st fret, I would have bought it and fixed the tuner myself.

Yes they had EVH Striped Series in the same guitar store and I only remember the fret ends being like sawtooths. That's not the factories fault tho, that happens on just about all maple board guitars that comes to Sweden, but that one was the worst ever.

So I can't remember if it felt any good to play because I put it away very quickly!

The EVH floyd isn't that like a EVH branded 1000 series? Thats the minimum I could think of when buying a guitar, and then use it until it dies and then upgrade.
    A guitar with Floyd Rose Special I wouldn't bother using the original trem at all haha

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Maybe just maybe because they made the Gios for noobs as first guitars and they know those persons need a proper first good reaction to the guitar and that the others everybody will take them to their Luthier for a proper Setup as first thing after buying the Guitar. So why waste time (and money) by proper setting them up if people will do it on their own
    Can't be 100% accurate for all brands?

The ESP LTDs they have in the store have some of the highest and stiffest action I've experienced on factory guitars, especially since they are made for a metal audience.

One of the entry level LTDs with Floyd Rose Special tho, had nice action at the nut, and could probably be super well playing if lowering the Floyd.
    Last edited by Rocka_Rollas; 01-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.

They had a used RG470 by the way that was super nice too, but it was used and probably setuped at some other place