Brent Hinds Signature V vs. Gibson 120? - Page 3

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brent Hinds Signature V vs. Gibson 120?

ME: Ibanez RG2550Z
    MA: Maison Western
    Rig: Randall Thrasher Head

Well, I'll have to say, that the quality of the Brent is most definately on par(or better), than my Gibby 120(which I love). The neck is big, yes. Very big. But fortunately I have big hands. And those Hammerclaws are NICE! This is by FAR the best Epiphone, I have ever played. But then again; It's also more expensive, that most Epi's...

ME: Am Std Tele
    Rig: Angry Charlie -> Blues Jr

Obviously this doesn't mean much, but pretty much every time I see that guitar mentioned, people say the quality is closer to Gibson than Epiphone. I wonder if it's similar to LTD, where you can't see the quality differences on the spec list (it seems like the LTD signature models get more QC attention than the Deluxes).

V's are too flashy for me; if it was an Explorer or LP, I would have seriously considered buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Drucifer View Post
    I played a Brent sig a couple weeks ago for about 30 seconds, neck was so fucking big I didn't have the desire to play it much longer than that, which was a bummer, I love the look.
    I forget if it's just a "Fat 50's" profile or if they specifically call it a '58. But I quickly played the LP Custom 1955 Outfit, which is the same profile IIRC, and that neck was huge. I like fatter necks, and it seemed borderline unplayable. I could have just not spent enough time with it, but it seemed so uncomfortably big that I put it right back.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    No other manufacturer can churn out high priced duds quite like Gibson. For every $2000 Les Paul I've played that was awesome, I've probably played two dozen complete lifeless planks.
    This. I love Gibsons, so before I paid for that Tele, I went through the store and played most of the Gibsons within my budget. Most of them seemed no better than Epiphones and/or had pretty awful finishing flaws. Pretty sad when your budget guitars are more consistent than your premium ones.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

Wasn't there also a big kerfuffle between Hinds and Gibson about the QC of his signature guitar(s)? That may have something to do with it.

I forget who went to PRS and who went to ESP but I don't think they play Gibson anymore anyway.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    Wasn't there also a big kerfuffle between Hinds and Gibson about the QC of his signature guitar(s)? That may have something to do with it.

I forget who went to PRS and who went to ESP but I don't think they play Gibson anymore anyway.
    Bill went to ESP, Brent was the one who made the comments about Gibson, then said "That's why I went with Epiphone." It's impossible to know, at any given time, whether that dude is serious, trolling, or legitimately crazy.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

I thought he's always crazy, the question being is he serious at the time.

ME: Am Std Tele
    Rig: Angry Charlie -> Blues Jr

I thought it was something along the lines of Gibson being difficult to work with and being controlling with specs?

Maybe they had issues with the cartoon skull on the back of the headstock.