NGD: Something A Little Different

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: NGD: Something A Little Different

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: XXX / 5153m

NGD: Something A Little Different

I just recently come to the realisation that I don't own a decent steel string acoustic. Got plenty of electrics, my good acoustics are nylon strings (a flamenco and a 7 string classical), hell I've got more world instruments than a steel stringer. ...well I have a little Talman acoustic that sounds crap. And with some gigs coming up with the country rock gig and an acoustic gig with the other prog band, I needed one fast.

For so long, I've held back for the right Martin, Maton or Cole Clark (preferably the latter 2 for the homegrown factor). That would have been the right thing to do if I didn't do an impulsive decision and based a purchase on seeing Joe Satriani holding an Ibanez AELFF10 during some dumb Chickenfoot video. Ibanez was happy to oblige...

...and I regret nothing.

Yeah the bridge looks like a hideous deformity, but I've never let ugly get in the way of playing. I've toured with an Ibby Glaive and Halberd dammit!

Sonically, it's certainly no Maton, Martin or Cole Clark. My experiences on those 3 brands play circles around this Ibby. But at the price these sell for, it sounds surprisingly more full than I thought. No complaints here. I haven't plugged the guitar in yet to test the Fishman electronics though...

The fanned fretboard was the big gimmick here, and since I often detune on an acoustic, this instrument is a good place to start. I remember trying my first fanned fret a while back and noting how it was natural for the hand to grip, so I felt fine here. Wrapping my thumb around to grab the low E (which I often do) didn't take long to grasp either. I just played the guitar and pretty much forgot the fanned layout.

I also managed to get one with the better fretwork as well. The factory setting action is still up in the stratosphere, so I'll need to get it tech'ed and I might replace the bridge pins to something a bit more durable. I hate dealing with bridge pins on an acoustic.

I still intend on getting a nice Maton or Cole Clark, but for now, this will do me just fine.
    Last edited by Bloody_Inferno; 06-20-2017 at 09:45 AM.

2. Thanked by:

cool score.

i've really wanted to try one of these out cause they seem like pretty good bang for the buck.
    Spoiler

ME: Ibanez JEM7V
    MA: Enema Bag W/Piezo's

I was hoping to try one of these when I was out shopping for an acoustic but couldn't find one and fell in love with a Breedlove I dicked around with.

I'm still really anxious to play around with one. Because I mainly got an acoustic for doing cover tunes, I keep it in D-standard and use a capo so I can jump around without re-tuning much. I'm very interested in the multi-scale aspect and out of the two fanned-frets I've played, I REALLY dug them.
    "It's ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER"

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: XXX / 5153m

I can only assume that it'd be difficult to find these in the wild as multi scale guitars are still purely niche. But this model is definitely a good bang for the buck fanned acoustic, highly recommended to try out if you do get the chance.