Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Interesting article on uniform tunings.

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Connor 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Y'know sometimes I think if I were to relearn the guitar from scratch, I would have started with 4ths from day one, but the thing is, I'm so used to standard tuning there wouldn't really be any advantage at this point. I remember a Holdsworth interview where he said the same thing...

Fifths on the other hand...:wub:

Done it on bass, acoustic and mandolin, and it really appeals to me. I still dream of having the disposable income for a custom-made five-string tuned CGDAE with a pair of X2Ns and a hard-tail bridge...

Ah well...a boy can dream!

#6 ·
Yeah, I know...it's just for some reason the symmetry of the five-string idea really appeals to me.

#7 ·
Fair enough, and I agree with you on the appeal of a 5-string in 5ths.

But I also like that there's a really nice pattern when you play 4-note-per-string scale fingerings involving 3 pairs of strings which works beautifully on a 6 string:

Code:
|7|1| |2| |3|
|3|4| |5| |6|
|6| |7|1| |2|
|2| |3|4| |5|
|5| |6| |7|1|
|1| |2| |3|4|

#8 ·
Oh, I'm totally with you on the symmetry of scales in 5ths!:) That's one of the main things I like about it!

On top of that, I really like how even simple chords sound so much more strident and powerful in that tuning, especially on acoustic instruments.

Do you remember that guy who played a Stick-bass in BbFCGDACD tuning?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.