The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority           Join us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! MG on YouTube MG on Google+ MG on Pinterest MG Soundcloud Group 
Register Gallery Merch Patches Forums Home
Guitar: Pickups Discussion Any range, active or passive, discuss pickups here.

Randy Rhoads "Super '74" Pickups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Send PM    Add to friends   

NSLALP

Member Number: 911
Home: Portland, OR
ME: Les Paul
MA: Les Paul
MB: Les Paul
Rig: Axe-FRextifier Ultra
13,260 Posts
Gallery: 0
Default Randy Rhoads "Super '74" Pickups

A caveat up front: I'm not daft enough to believe that Randy's tone came out of his pickups. I'm also not really in search of his tone (mid-blasted boosted-to-fuck pissed-off Marshall), though it has certain pleasing aspects.

I was just intrigued by the new pups Gibson is putting into their Randy Rhoads Custom Les Paul (which is so pretty).

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom - Randy Rhoads Les Paul Custom Pickups and Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson website
The Randy Rhoads 1974 Les Paul Custom is equipped with a pair of Gibson Custom's new Super '74 Humbucker pickups, units designed to accurately replicate the sound of the Gibson humbuckers of the early to mid 1970s, beloved of countless rock legends. Both pickups are wound with 42 AWG wire and measure approximately 7.4k to 7.6k ohms, and both are wax potted to prevent microphonic squeal at high volume levels.

Gibson's Super '74 Humbuckers are made with genuine Alnico 3 magnets, just like many Gibson humbuckers of the early to mid '70s.

In the neck position, the Super '74 Humbucker provides a warm, creamy, vocal tone that excels at blues-rock and rock-ballad solos. In the bridge position, the Super '74 offers a cutting, edgy, aggressive sound, resulting in a screaming rock lead tone through a high-gain amplifier. Both positions offer outstanding sustain.
I know a few things about pickups, but the AlNiCo III choice intrigued me. I know that the higher flux your magnets are, all other things being equal, the crisper and punchier your attack is, along with I believe more bass response.

Is a III really just between II and IV? Or are there other differences? The BKP Rebel Yell uses IV's and sounds pretty damn sweet while still being a bit compressed and punchy.

Guess I just want to hear people's thoughts on these pickups, historical or performance oriented. AlNiCo III magnets are pretty rare in modern pickup designs, you see a lot of II, V and ceramic, and a few IVs. I don't know if you can outright buy them, but they might be a cool pickup.

EDIT: Some guy at GuitarGeek posted this: A3 < A2 < A4 < A5 < A8, and says that III's are the lowest output.

Making metal every night and day.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #2

Send PM    Add to friends      Facebook

Max
Slow Money

Member Number: 50
Home: The house formerly known as the Haus
ME: Ibanez S540LTD
MA: Taylor Big Baby
Rig: Laney GH50L
15,348 Posts
Gallery: 8

Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I can't comment to much for alnico iii, but I can say I'm yet to play a 70s Gibson with pickups I thought were >decent enough

R.I.P. Guitars Etc
RHLC Chief Promotions Officer
Max is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

Pallin' around

Member Number: 722
Home: Denver, CO
ME: Sherman Poips
MA: Martin DXK2
MB: StringlessRusted Leonbass
Rig: AFx Tubes-R-Dead
10,760 Posts

Looks awesome man! It is soooo classy! However, I am dreading the price tag too much to even look it up.
Seanbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #4

I don't like it.

Member Number: 64
Home: Austin, TX
ME: 90 RG570
Rig: Digitech GSP2101
9,498 Posts

If it were reasonably priced, I'd save up and get one. I've always wanted a Les Paul like Randy's.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage   MySpace   Facebook

Is Actually Recording

Member Number: 4
Home: Somerville, Ma
ME: Suhr Modern 7
MA: Martin MC16-GTE
MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12
30,136 Posts
Gallery: 5
Thanked 1,695 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbabs View Post
Looks awesome man! It is soooo classy! However, I am dreading the price tag too much to even look it up.
I'm not.

Buy Gibson Custom Randy Rhoads 1974 Les Paul Custom VOS Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

$5k.

EDIT -

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=H66075

$7k if you want it aged, so you don't have to actually play it.

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #6

Send PM    Add to friends      Facebook

Mullet Child

Member Number: 812
Home: Laramie, Wyoming
ME: Jackson AT Pro
Rig: Rivera K Tre
8,968 Posts
Thanked 1,049 Times in 368 Posts

I wouldn't really describe Randy Rhoads tone as good, epic player, but tonewise pretty blah. Now whitesnake, there is the quintessential pissed off marshall sound
Greg McCoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #7

NSLALP

Member Number: 911
Home: Portland, OR
ME: Les Paul
MA: Les Paul
MB: Les Paul
Rig: Axe-FRextifier Ultra
13,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueleader View Post
I wouldn't really describe Randy Rhoads tone as good, epic player, but tonewise pretty blah. Now whitesnake, there is the quintessential pissed off marshall sound
Yeah, honestly I'd love to save up $5k for one, but I'd want to play it which seems a sin. It really is the kind of thing that should be put in a display case or lovingly hung on the wall and played twice a year.

I think Randy's tone was great for what he did. That screaming definition worked well, it's just so damn abrasive. Fucking MXR EQ pedal . Just not the kind of thing I'd want to use. I think this guitar is probably very bright sounding, which can be used for the forces of good.

EDIT: I'm also curioud what a "Small D Rhoads Profile" equates to. I suppose it's just how they were shaping necks at the time, or perhaps he got a slightly flatter one than usual, since it was a stock guitar.

PS: Gibson owns Baldwin pianos???
Attached Thumbnails
Randy Rhoads "Super '74" Pickups-baldwin.png  
Soopahmahn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #8

Send PM    Add to friends    Homepage

Soloist hoarder

Member Number: 108
Home: Herndon, VA
ME: Jackson Soloist
Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II
6,968 Posts

On eBay, at any given time, there are approximately a zillion '70s Les Pauls that sell for just over $2,000. Most have the actual '70s Gibson pickups (which I can attest to having liked back in the day). Ignore the idiot dealers on eBay trying to get $3,000+ for their stock of Norlin LPs. Prices have come crashing back down on those guitars in the last year or so--back to about where they have been for 20 years, adjusting for inflation.

Stupid to pay $5,000 for basically the same thing. Unless you're some rich douchebag who puts guitars in glass cases, I guess.
jacksonplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pickups, randy, rhoads, super 74

Related Products Discussed In This Thread