Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Dimarzio single for middle position?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  giannifive 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm planning a pup & hardware swap on my ESP. Maple body, maple neck, rosewood board, OFR, H-S-H. I've got a Tone Zone for the bridge, an Air Norton for the neck, and once I pick up some tuners & a single coil for the middle, I'll be in business.

Looking for a recommendation for the middle slot, to be primarily used for cleans. The guitar has a five-way & a coil tap switch, and I do enjoy mixing the middle pup with one or more coils of the neck or bridge.

I'd like to stick to Dimarzios but I don't have much experience with their single-coils. What would you put in between a TZ & AN? Should I go Cruiser? Fast Track 1/2? Air Norton S? Something else?

I know you guys know your shit so any advice is gold to me. Thanks for the venue to ask the question.

Max

#3 ·
I used a set of Cruisers for a bit - surprisingly glassy, not as much sparkle as a "true" singlecoil but damned close, but really not enough output to balance with a bridge humbucker. I didn't really want a "perceived" volume drop when I went from a singlecoil to the humbucker for lead playing (the output might be lower, but the brigter, less compressed attack made it "seem" as loud, was what I was after), and I couldn't do that. If you want something to blend with the coils from those two, though, it might be a pretty good match. Just, definitely wire it up as a humbucker for the middle positons, and don't split it.

Reactions: maxident213
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.