Carvin pickup recommendations

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Carvin pickup recommendations

ME: PRS Custom 24
    Rig: Kemper►KRK's

Carvin pickup recommendations

I've just put in an order for a new Carvin DC727 & seeing as I've heard nothing but horrible things about the stock pickups I was looking at some replacements. The spec was maple neck with mahogany body, quilted maple top and birdseye maple board. I'm looking for something versatile. I want that low end growl & thud but I also want that smooth bluesy tone if I need it with some punchy cleans with clairty I'm not asking too much!

I'm not loyal to any particular brand but I have sided with DiMarzio in the past. I don't mind trying something new & I'm sure more than one of you will recommend BKPs of some variety (especially as I'm the UK).

So fire away!
    Last edited by the.godfather; 01-14-2012 at 11:08 AM.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

[VIDEO]]Dio-Holy Diver LIVE - YouTube[/VIDEO]
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: Jackson Sl2H
    Rig: Engl/Marshall rack

You'll have to do some modding to either the pickup or the route to get the pickups to fit. I still have the stock ones in mine, they aren't amazing sounding but I don't find them terrible either. The hassle of changing the route is putting me off doing a swap.
    My band Shardborne - Prog metal Free E.P Download here

ME: Gibson LP Custom
    MA: Yamaha APX500
    MB: EBMM Bongo
    Rig: Fractal Axe-FX II

That is why I am hesitant to have a DC700 made for me.

Where I am confused is this: in my experience, 6-string active pickups like EMGs and Blackouts are the same size as 6-string passive pickups, and you can put either into a standard humbucker rout. Isn't this also true of 7-string actives and passives? If so, then one should be able to replace Carvin 7-string actives with third party 7-string passives because the word is that the routs for the Carvin A70 active pickups are "industry standard".

Gibson | PRS | Jackson | Fender | Dean | Carvin | Warmoth
    Fractal Audio Systems | Marshall | Fender | Boss
    Ernie Ball | Dunlop | Elixir | DR

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

As long as it's not a covered pickup, most pickups just need the mounting tabs shaved down a bit to fit in a Carvin. But, I think on the last 7 string I put DiMarzios in, I trimmed down the whole base plate of the pickup. It wasn't a lot but I decided to go that route instead of opening the pickup cavity a little bit since there wasn't any pickup mounting rings to cover any fuckups I might have made. In the end, it was a tight fit but it really wasn't to much of a hassel if you don't fear doing that kind of work on your guitar/pickups.

ME: PRS Custom 24
    Rig: Kemper►KRK's

Yeah thanks for reminding me, I forgot about the work needed to accomodate the new pickups. Any routing isn't a problem though, I'm not afraid to either do it myself or get someone to do the work for me either way.

So anymore pickup recommendations? I've been looking at the Blaze for the bridge or the TZ7, then the PAF7 or Air Norton looks good for the neck. Any thoughts?

I'll definitely look at the Holydiver, what about any of the other BKPs or other brands?