Hi folks, I'm new to this forum.
I'm thinking of buying an ESP vintage plus (alder/rosewood) for christmas. I'm big fan of that distressed/relic strat look.
I'm thinking of using it as my rock/metal guitar, so maybe I'll ditch the stock duncan SSL-1, and use something hotter.
So here's the character I'm looking for:
- I want it to sound like single coil (fast attack, great cut, raw "clanking steel" sound)
- More defined bottom end than vintage spec SC for palm mutes.
- High signal to noise ratio (high output, low noise). My other strat can do metal but the output is low, so too much sustain is also cut when using noise surpressor.
- True single coil is preferred, as I would like to keep the stock pickup cover (distressed/vintage look). Stacked SC *and dual rails*will not fit into it.
I really like yngwie malmsteen's tone on "Inspiration" album.*
I also like some modern metal tone like bullet for my valentine, KSE, symphony X, Trivium.*
I don't hope to reach such gain/ saturation, but I would like the pickups to also sound brutal without losing clarity while playing drop tunings (drop D/ drop C)
I'm already looking at a few options:
- bareknuckle sinner
- bareknuckle trilogy suite
- dimarzio FS-1
- duncan SSL5
- duncan twang banger
- motor city dim muk.
- any suggestions???
Also, If you have experience with any of those pickups, pls share *what you think. I'm a bit concerned because of their high output they might lose that single coil sound.
Are you sure a stacked DiMarzio won't fit? I'd go for a Virtual Solo, but failing that a Sinner would be worth trying