Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NPD! (SD content)

ME: SVK Les Paul Custom
    MA: Washburn something
    MB: Charvel 1B
    Rig: Marshall 8100

NPD! (SD content)

So a follow up to that poll I posted what must be at least a month ago. I went on the 'bay and grabbed some like new pickups for my EC-1000, which has been sitting unused for months due to a serious case of EMG-FAIL syndrome.

I managed to knab a factory unused SD Distortion for the bridge, and a Jazz for the neck. I also threw the coil split on there as well, and I'm VERY happy with how everything is sounding.

An interesting little story with this guy. When I went to my tech, he explained that they ended up having to refinish the top of the guitar, because when they were pulling up one of the stopbar poles to put the ground in it brought up a quater-sized piece of finish with it. The gave it a satin-lacquer finish and it looks AMAZING in person. Much nicer than the polyurethane finish ESP uses, it really nails the worn to shit look. The best part about this though, is even though this probably took him a good amount of extra time to do it since they used old-school laquer, he didn't charge me. They even cleaned up all the bridge and tailpiece for me, the thing looks brand new now!

As far as tone goes, I couldn't be happier. The Distortion can be thin at low volumes, as it's so tight, but as soon as you plug it into a 5150 and get the volume above one it really chugs. The tone is different from what I thought it would be, much warmer in m guitar (mahogany) than what I demoed it in (alder). I do enjoy the sound a lot though, and it kicks the amp so hard I could easily play without a boost if I felt like it.

The SD jazz is exactly what I want a neck to do. It handles lead well, and it cleans up nicely too, it's very jazzy and definitely earns it name. The coil split is amazing to have. It doesn't quite get me to clean territory on my red channel of my 5150, but on the uncrunched green channel it sounds perfect with the gain knob at ten, harmonic and articulate, with plenty of sheen. This is how I wanted the guitar to sound and act when I was playing live, and now I know I can take this thing and do anything I want with it. An interesting thing will be getting used to the passives, I'm still messing with height, and right now the bridge is lower than what I got it back as, and the neck is higher.

All in all, totally glad I followed the example of Ola and many other great players on here and went with this set.

(Here's a terrible picture of the sexy new pickup layout and finish)
    Do you know what time it is? It's time to FARK SHEET ARRRRRP!!

ME: Gibson SG Special
    MA: Yamaha FSX700SC
    Rig: Fender Deluxe VM

Nice score on the refinish! That's worth a few hundred bucks, so he must be a standup guy to throw that in.

Play around with the pickup height too. I've found that even though the Jazz is one of my favorite pickups ever, it can be a bit shrill at certain heights.

ME: Ibanez RG2228
    MB: Schecter Stiletto Studio
    Rig: Fractal Audio AxeFX II

Sweet on the refinish! I've got the same EC-1000 and put Cold Sweats in mine, but I'm thinking of going back to some SD's. The CS's just don't work in that guitar... but work great in some other guitars I own. Might get a Distortion and try that. I really don't like the Jazz though, it sounds so muddy and saggy to me! Seems you're having much better luck with it though.
    Ibanez RG2228, RGD2127Z, RGA121 // Fractal Audio AxeFX II // Avatar V30 2x12

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Very nice! Some cream rings would look sweet on that.

ME: Strat
    Rig: MKV25, Port City OS Wave

Nice. You don't like EMG's? Never would've guessed. Nice to hear they sound good in mahogany, my S is getting this set + a push/pull hotrails installed as we speak.

ME: Buddy Blaze prototyp
    MA: Ibanez Charleston
    Rig: Marshall JCM2000 DSL50

Awesome! Glad the refinish worked out for ya.

ME: SVK Les Paul Custom
    MA: Washburn something
    MB: Charvel 1B
    Rig: Marshall 8100

Yeah they definitely lost money on having to give me the refinish on this guy. The Jazz sounds good ConnorGilks, it is a bit syrupy though, but I'm going to try and lower it and see if that helps.

ME: PRS 24 & Beast
    MA: Breedlove
    Rig: VHT Pitbull ultralead

I wish more people were like your tech....going the extra mile for their customers. I'm looking forward to getting a jazz to match with my distortion. I, too, made the change from EMG's to a distortion and I haven't reached for another guitar in 2 months. Post more pics of the finish when you get a chance!