Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Go ahead, roll your eyes, another pickup suggestion thread (RG7421)

7K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  KentuckyThrash 
#1 · (Edited)
I hate doing this, but I don't personally know anyone who could advise me on such a life changing decision. :rolleyes:
Put an RG7421 on layaway, so pickups are next.
This is my first seven so I'm pretty lost as for what sounds good.

For neck: liquidy and crisp(I'm thinking '59, Air Norton, Liquifire) however, nothing boomy. (Think BoO's Discovery Album leads.)

For bridge: middy, tight pickup, I don't like a scrape-y sounding pick attack on the unwound strings. Bridge I'm totally lost:scratch:. Think JB Awesomeness but more capable of handling the fuckton of gain I use to hide my shitty playing.

I'm all over the place with this decision, and out of all the guitarists I know, I'm the most knowledgeable, with the exception of my teacher, who pretty much exclusively uses TZ/AN. A sincere and premature thank you to any advice.:metal:

#12 ·
Only if you got covers. Otherwise spec short leg, and be prepared to have to trim the ears of the mounting plate.

I was very sceptical of Aftermaths originally, but the pink one in my Jackson absolutely slays and I'll be putting them in every guitar I own that doesn't need actives. Perfect pickup. Endless mids and harmonics, the thing just screams!

#14 ·
I mean. As much as I'd love the sound, and the aesthetic of having pickups that cost more than my guitar. I JUST cleaned myself out. I'd prefer to stay $120~ for the set.
I just read up on the Blaze "Scooped Mids" No mids no care.
No jazz or distortion, have those already, they're awesome, but I'd prefer something else, wanna dip my foot into Dimarzio waters, which I've yet to do.
I'm kinda set on LF Neck. Now. In the crunchlab description, it says nothing about mids. I am a crackhead for my mid boosted in your face sound, will Crunchlab work?

#17 · (Edited)
Evo bridge did sound pretty awesome in the description. Will it handle playing Tech-y Death shit?
Ant if you did I would be so grateful, I'll fly overseas break into Stuh's house and get your Xiphos back, and laser script a different serial number. And laserscript cunt into his forehead! :yesway:
I did the pickup finder, and they recommended neck pickups for bridge ...? Hm. Why must everything recorded with the CL/LF sound amazing...
edit: It's lookin like CL/Evo(bridge) & LF/AN(neck)

#31 ·
CL/LF sucks ass in basswood. (Especially the CL). I have no idea why people like that pickup other than if they play djent or just hate good tone. I had both the six and seven string versions of the CL in my two EBMMs and they are equally bad in both. It's just a crappy pickup with a lot of hype behind it.

Just spend the extra ~$25 or so and put a Miracle Man in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck and then proceed to own the best pickup combo out there that isn't Aftermath/Mahogany.

Simple rule of thumb for bridge pickups:

Basswood = Miracle Man
Mahogany = Aftermath

#26 ·
So, the Evo7 might be up your alley for the bridge. If you like LOTS of mids, try the Blaze Custom. Here's an ANCIENT :)lol:) video of me with my old RG7621 with a Blaze Custom in the bridge, and AN7 in the neck, through a V30'd Mesa Nomad 45 2x12.

AN7:

BC:

The mic was one of those shite little ones you used to get with your PC 15 years ago :lol:

#29 ·
Awesomeness but more capable of handling the fuckton of gain I use
If you use a lot of gain, you might consider going with lower output pickups for more clarity. I've heard good things about the Blaze Neck in the bridge position. For the neck you could then go with a PAF7. It doesn't sound like a PAF, but I don't think the mids are as scooped as Dimarzio's tone chart would imply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.