Lace Alumitone Deathbar (+ a mass of introductory text)

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lace Alumitone Deathbar (+ a mass of introductory text)

ME: Agile Sentinel 727
    Rig: Randall RD45

Lace Alumitone Deathbar (+ a mass of introductory text)

I'm normally not a super social person, but I've lurked the "other site" and MG since some point in 2006. Ish. That's a very precisely imprecise estimation.

I can't begin to explain how much useful information I've soaked up during the years I've done so. So I won't. I will, however, post a few things that are entirely unrelated.

I think the only two things anyone may remember from my bouts of social posting at ss of the RG7321 refinish picstories and something about a Dean Vendetta 7. Which was (in retrospect) a fairly underwhelming guitar.

So I'd like to change that and lurk less/participate more.

In order to steer this rambling wall-o-text back to the topic I had initially intended to focus on, runonsentenceswut. I'm a bit verbose and rambly when I haven't had my liquor.

I've noticed there isn't a terribly large amount of information regarding the Alumitones, and some is even conflicting. I ordered a 3.5 Deathbar to test out in my LTD EC407 (which I will likely do a NGD about soon).

My initial impression was that the pickup itself seems...fragile.
    Has anyone with personal experience installing/touching/caressing one felt the same? Secondly, as I had expected would happen with this guitar, the pickup is only jusssst high enough with the foam from the former EMGs and the provided screws almost maxed out. Not really a huge problem overall I suppose.

I've only had the pickup in the guitar for the weekend, so I've only had the opportunity to play through the Vox AD50VT I keep in my apartment.
    I only got this to stick in the bridge, so in the event I didn't like it, I'd only have one useless lump of metal vs two.
    (it's not really substantial enough to injure someone if I threw it, and I can't imagine it would be very good on a sandwich)

The sound:

I've got it at a hair under 3mm away from the strings.
    It's quite bassy, but not in a woofy, unpleasant kind of way. Highs aren't offensive or harsh.
    I was really hoping it would be a fairly middle of the road, straightforward pickup without noticible EQ quirks.
    So far, I'm quite pleased with it. It seems to be just that. A good place to start tone shaping without adding or taking too much away from the start. Or something. Fuck it. It didn't disappoint and I don't regret pulling the EMGs from the guitar. If I get the opportunity today, I'll attempt to get some clips up.

All in all, it seems like the Deathbar is going to stay in the guitar. I just put in an order for the X-Bar to stick in the neck, and I'll likely have something to say about it when it arrives. Honestly, I think they'd sell more of these if they had a more...erm...conventional and informative section of their site about them.

Oh. Also.

Tits and beer.

ME: PRS SE Custom
    MA: Yamaha FS720S
    Rig: Vox VT30

Quote Originally Posted by dei7mos View Post
    Tits and beer.
    You'll fit in well here

Welcome! Nice guitar by the way.

ME: Ibanez x 3
    MB: Dean
    Rig: Peavey

Sexy guitar.

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

I approve of your missing neck pickup, sir!

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

That was a pretty solid first post, man.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Agile Sentinel 727
    Rig: Randall RD45

Well thanks, all. Much appreciated.

I haven't had time to get any clips recorded but I will most definitely have some by the end of the day tomorrow.

ME: string surgeoncustom

I've got a pair of Deathbucker pickups to go in my ESP eclipse and also a lace x bar for my ESP 8 string. Can't wait to get them installed and tested. I've read many positive comments about these pickups.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Are you using 250k pots with it?