So, I took a study break today and wired this up. Initial thoughts:
- I'm getting better at this whole wiring guitars thing. I'm still no Toshiro, but It went pretty well. Also, having a good iron REALLY helps, this was the first time I used the Hakko i picked up a while ago.
- They're definitely hotter than the Areas. Not outrageously, but to the point where the gain setting on the clean tone, which was pretty good for the Areas, wasn't ideal here. I dialed it back a bit after I made this, and it sounded better.
- Dynamics aren't as single-coil-like as the Cruisers, but they're also WAY more controllable.
- After adjusting for gain, I like the neck and middle positions, but I'm less sold on the in-between position.
- I REALLY like these with some gain. Somewhere between Gilmour and Neil Zaza.
I need to spend some more time playing with them before I decide if the Areas are going back in or if I'm going to stick with these.