Let's talk PAF-7

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk PAF-7

ME: RG1527
    MA: Eastman AC-420
    Rig: Mesa Stiletto Ace

Let's talk PAF-7

The more and more I play, the less and less I like higher output pickups... but I still like my 7's. That being said, from my (albeit limited) research, a PAF 7 seems to be the ticket, as I love PAF-styled stuff in all my 6ers.

The thing I don't understand though, is why the PAF 7 is a ceramic magnet pickup, which is totally untr00 to the kilt-ness of a PAF-styled pickup. Can anybody with a set of these chime in on how they actually sound? I tend to dislike ceramic magnets, but I'd be willing to give it a shot if enough people say it's worthwhile.

Then again, if these actually suck (looking at you, Tone Zone 7), is there anything in a close price point that'd give me what I want?

These are potentially going in my basswood JP7, fwiw.
    "Sometimes you have to confront your own patterns and expectations of yourself and do away with things that you enjoy doing in order to move forward and keep evolving as a musician. That's exactly the definition of the word progressive of course." —Steven Wilson

If these are what are in one of my J Customs, which I'm pretty sure are, then I can tell you I love them.

I've never been a fan of ultra high output pickups, so these really hit the spot or me. They are on the lower end for output, and if they have a ceramic magnet, then that must give them that subtle little "bite" they have.

They have an openness and clearness to them; some great sounds, overtones, and harmonics can be oases out of them.

ME: PRS CE22
    MA: Richard Cogger Classical
    MB: Fender Bulletbass
    Rig: Mesa Mark V/TA30

I like the PAF 7. I've only ever heard it in mahogany but it should do fine in basswood. Also ceramics aren't that rare in PAF voiced pickups due to the fact ceramics tend to have a tighter bottom end.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

Quote Originally Posted by Bleak View Post
    The thing I don't understand though, is why the PAF 7 is a ceramic magnet pickup
    Steve Blucher at DiMarzio is (or at least was) pretty set in his belief that there is no time where an alnico or other magnet would be desirable over a ceramic in a 7 string pickup.
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Steve Blucher also has a TON of tricks up his sleeve for extracting just about any tone out of a pickup, so i think the magnet type plays a lesser role in many modern DiMarzios.

ME: SVK Les Paul Custom
    MA: Washburn something
    MB: Charvel 1B
    Rig: Marshall 8100

PAF pickups ARE versatility. Between the flexibility of the original and the modifying potential of the basic design, they do it all.
    Do you know what time it is? It's time to FARK SHEET ARRRRRP!!

ME: RG550
    MB: EXB445
    Rig: 5153/Orange

The magnet is only one of a couple factors that decide how hot a pickup can be. The amount of winds jacking up a higher DC resistance, for example, can contribute a lot towards a more compressed hot sound.

I think Adam was correct in saying the ceramic probably does what it has to for a 7-string guitar, adding a little bite. To make up for that they probably have a lower DC resistance for a more dynamic, less hot sound. If I had to guess, it's probably rated around 8 kohm to balance out that magnet's power.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

I tried a PAF 7 in one guitar (don't remember whose) and it was very single-coily in terms of clarity.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion