Metal Guitarist Forums banner

EMG Vs. BareKnuckle (MH1000-ET)

7K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  kosta 
#1 ·
So after reading different things here and there, watching a few videos, and hearing friends tell me different things; i decided to go a head and buy myself a set of BlackHawks to put them through the paces against EMG's

To my surprise even when i was recording the guitar tracks, while at the same volume, the Black Hawks track came out louder. At the end of the day i like the Bare Knuckles more but not WAY more like i expected. The are very clear and have a pretty beefy bottom end. The EMG's are equally clear but have always sounded a little bit on the thin side to me.

Either way i made a video comparing the two. Let me know what you guys think.

#2 ·
Cool.

My experience with pickups is that they make a difference, but if you start with a quality pickup (which, despite the hate, the EMG 81 is) and switch to a quality pickup, the difference is not going to be night and day. A good sounding guitar will sound good, and a bad sounding guitar will still sound bad. I think the pickups are 10-20% of the total equation, so expecting to like them WAY more is probably a bad expectation.

#6 ·
This :agreed:

A few years back I bought an Agile 8 with a Warpig in the bridge. I'd never played a "boutique" pickup before, and I thought it was gonna be this life-changing experience. At first it was really underwhelming. After a while I grew to really like it because of how neutral it was - it didn't have too much of anything, so I didn't have trouble getting it to sound good. But when I first plugged it in, I was like "Awww yeah BKP", followed by "...that's it?" :lol:

Looks and sounds great man :yesway:

#11 ·
EMG's fit the mix better, as always, there's just no question. Their 'thinness' is really easy to get around, if need-be (often it's just a case of dialling in the amp to suit, or opting to not use a boost where you would normally, etc etc) They are always so much more adaptable to a metal mix than 90% of passives, IMO. It's just whether they work with your style.

#15 ·
A lot of people complain about how compressed EMG sound yet use a boost in front of there amps and compress the shit out of their signal anyway:scratch:.

Anyway, Dunno man they both sound pretty mean :yesway:. Would be pretty brutal to double track with both guitars:metal:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.