Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Bareknuckle Juggernaut Set

24K views 53 replies 30 participants last post by  Divebombs 
#1 ·

Been working on this for the last year with Tim Mills. Good buddy Nolly helped with the design as well, because we all know he knows tone, and Dylan Humphries (Daemoness) desigined the optional laser etch logo for the covers.

These will be out soon in 6 and 7 variants as covered/uncovered pickups.
I can't say too much more about them JUST yet, but I can say that I have an uncovered set in this guitar:

See less See more
1 1
#12 ·
If you want a written description of the sound as I can best deliver:

In short, I went to Tim asking him to make me a hybrid pickup that would capture the best aspects of Ceramic and Alnico pickups but without the downsides. Ceramic tends to be harsh and compressed, Alnico doesn't have the attack or tightness that I need.

Tim and I actually designed these pickups not around being "djenty" (because apart from being rather limiting as a sound, most of that comes from your picking technique and how you set your amp) but focused more on fixing the small qualms I had with the Aftermath and Black Hawk. These are much more dynamic, and smoother in the top end so that leads/high notes don't sound shrill or ice-picky, and we managed to shift the low end focus from bass to low mids which means they are hitting frequencies which are a lot more relevant to the guitar and the pickup sounds fatter for it. All of this whilst having that signature "open" top end clarity that I have come to associate with BKP pickups as well as the ability to have distorted chords ring out evenly and clearly without the lower notes taking over.

A huge bonus that was kind of unexpected is how phenomenal these pickups sound on cleans (even the bridge) and mid gain tones as a result of the added dynamics, sweetness and fatness.

Now since it is my pickup, Tim's challenge was to work those qualities into the pickup in a way that would still allow me to completely get the tightness and angry attack I get from the Aftermath (especially if you pick hard) and the purr of an Alnico Blackhawk without relying on the compressed nature of that pickup. As a result, you can effectively use your right hand/strength of your picking as a gain control!

For the neck pickup voicing, I have always thought that the VHII was the most perfect neck pickup, but unfortunately it is not output/eq matched to the AM/BH set, so we spent some time designing a pickup that had all the positive characteristics of the VHII but that matched the output level and general eq of the Juggernaut bridge so that they would sound like part of the same set!

Hopefully this answers the question.

#15 ·
I designed them in a Basswood body/Maple bolt-on neck guitar.
However since then they have been in guitars with mahogany, limba and ash bodies, and with both neck through and bolt-on construction, and have sounded absolutely fantastic in every case with the latest iteration of the prototype!

#25 ·
By virtue of being more dynamic, your picking style will have much more of an effect on the tone, obviously my clips will sound like me, but I am very curious to hear just how different these pickups will sound in other people's hands!

#42 ·
Here is a video for those of you who wanted a more in-depth video on my new signature Bare Knuckle Pickups Juggernaut set, as well as a chance to hear it through some raw tones (clean, mid gain and high gain on several pickup positions):

Hope you guys dig!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.