Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NPUD: G&L Legacy Singles, Duncan Perpetual Burn

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Colossal Incantation 
#1 ·
So, I went from this:

To this:

I replaced the stock Duncan STK-4 single-coils with a pair of G&L Legacy singlecoils (used Duncan white covers since the DiMarzio tall covers were too tall, although the Duncan covers were a bit too short) and swapped the TB-5 Custom for a Perpetual Burn.

The single-coils are a *huge* improvement over the Duncans. I knew I liked the Legacy pickups in my Legacy, and I definitely like them here. The Duncans were kind of dark and not particularly dynamic, while the Legacy pickups are clear and Stratty, just like you'd expect.

The Perpetual Burn is interesting. It's very uncompressed and unforgiving, and seems to be pretty balanced in terms of frequency response (no hyped highs, mids, or lows, but the lows do extend deeper than I'm used to). It was a little sterile sounding through my Mini Recto, but it *loved* the squashy Marshally sounds of the JVM-1 and Budda.

I'd describe it as a pleasant mildly hot PAF-type, with the caveat that if your amp will reproduce deeper low end (such as through a resonance control, or my Sunn's insanely deep response) you will get a lot more depth than you'd expect!

See less See more
#2 ·
NICE!:yesway:

#3 ·
My biggest issue with the Perpetual Burn is how much mid range and low end it has. It absolutely does not work in a Les Paul. Considering that the Carvins Becker played are all top end, it makes a lot of sense.

#4 ·
This guitar must be bright as hell then (maple board, Strat scale, alder body, bolt-on, Floyd), because the PB sounds pretty "even" here, with a low end that's deeper (but not any more hyped or prominent, if that makes sense) than the Custom that was in the guitar.

But, it's academic anyway, since you should only be putting an Aldrich in a Les Paul :squint:

#5 ·
It was my buddy Todd (zerodc) who tried it in his '00 LP Classic, which sounds pretty similar to my '92 Standard. It was ALL mid honk, just completely unusable.

#7 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

I wouldn't use one in basswood; it's a very midrangey wood, so I think you'll find it way too honky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.