EMG 57/66 set larger than 81/85 set?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: EMG 57/66 set larger than 81/85 set?

EMG 57/66 set larger than 81/85 set?

I have a Charvel DX-1 ST that came with EMG 81/85's. I ordered a 57/66 EMG set knowing that EMGs are easy to swap with other EMGs. However, I found out that this is not the case. I took out the original pickups, and hooked in the new ones just fine, but the 57/66 set seem to stretch my pickup rings. And when I do get them screwed in, adjustment is impossible because they're too tight a fit. Does anyone here know what the problem might be?

ME: Caparisons
    MA: Takamine PTU220 Custom
    MB: Ibanez ATK300
    Rig: Bogner Ecstasy 101A/B

That's odd. I've changed several sets of 81 for 57/66 and thy all swapped fine. Could be your pickup rings are abnormally small and that's why they're tight in there. The 57/66 is only fractionally larger so it shouldn't be an issue normally.

ME: Charvel SoCal Custom
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

I had this same problem when i got mine, had to get new pickup rings. They're only a hair larger, but EMG's themselves are larger than normal pickups due to the square frame of the case (I spent most of Wednesday filing/sanding my new custom pickguard for my RG550 so it would take a standard 81/85 set!)
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

ME: MH400/Horizon NT7
    Rig: 5150 II

I had a set, had the same problem on my LTD MH400. I had to sand out the pickup routs juuuust a little to get them to fit. Of course, I ended up not liking them, so I basically did that for nothing.

ME: SG / Strat
    Rig: Laney IRT60H, Blues Jr.

My Schecter - same issue. 81/89 set fig perfectly.

I had to file the ears on the 57/66 set to get them in... not much. I wasn't comfortable taking a Dremel to my guitar.
    All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

ME: PRS Custom 24
    Rig: Kemper►KRK's

I've heard of this issue a couple of times now, especially on other forums. It just seems that the pickup lugs are a tad larger and need filing down to fit them in to most cavities. I just installed a 57/66 set into my Setius 6 this weekend and luckily they fit great. No extra filing or routing needed.