Searching for pickups for my Les Pauls

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Searching for pickups for my Les Pauls

ME: Gibson SG
    MB: Spector Euro
    Rig: Ampeg V4B

Searching for pickups for my Les Pauls

I know, we haven't had one of these in a while. I did do some searching, both on here and on the rest of the internet, but I'm really looking to swap out the pickups in both of my Les Pauls - an '04 silverburst Custom and a wine red Studio from '92. They both have high output humbuckers in the bridge currently, but I'm not into extreme metal as much as I used to be, so I want something that can drive my amp hard but still clean up well. Something with a more moderate output.

The silverburst Custom currently has a 496r/500t in it. The guitar itself is on the darker side for an LP with ebony fretboard. The 500t is all over the place, and at this point I really don't care for it in the bridge.

The Studio came with a set of SD 59s in it when I got it. Currently it has a PRS Tremonti pickup in the bridge, which is kind of like a better version of the 500t. The Studio is definitely brighter than my LPC since it has an ebony fretboard and I believe a maple cap.

Most of what I'm playing these days is 80s/90s rock/metal. Dio, Alice in Chains, Black Sabbath, Soundgarden, Testament, etc... I typically like darker guitar tones but still want something that will cut through like crazy.

I've wanted to buy/try a Suhr Aldrich but my fear is it may be a little too hot for what I'm looking for. I have thought about trying the 59/Custom hybrid in the LPC, but I'm really open to any suggestions. I do prefer Duncans over most of the Dimarzios I've tried and I don't really want to drop more than $100 on a pickup. Thanks guys!
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Benjamin Franklin

ME: Ibanez, various
    Rig: Peavey, various

This is going to sound weird, but "SD Pearly Gates".... IMHO it is the sweetest sounding med output bucker there is. People will tell you that the pickup is not for "metal." Those people will be wrong. You can easily get a good Jerry Cantrell or Iommi sound out of it. Exceptional for gritty drive too. Can't say enough good things about the PG.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

You know my vote
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    You know my vote

ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

Quote Originally Posted by DonBot View Post
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

You looking for a bridge or just a pair? $200 is not a bad budget for a pair, but if you stretch a little more then the options really open up. As it is, a used Aldrich set is going to be out of your price range, as is about anything that's not a Duncan or Dimarzio.

The Aldrich is a weird pickup; it's overwound but degaussed. So, it sounds hotter than it really is, since the output isn't excessive.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Wolfetone Marshallhead MKII Humbucker Pickup Set Bridge Neck P A F Nickel | eBay

These are absolutely awesome pickups in LPs. Lots of sizzle under gain, but they're around 9.5K, so they work well clean. They're pretty much perfect for classic rock, hard rock, and trad metal. My buddy Todd (zerodc) has a set in one of his LPs. I've got a Wolfetone Dr Vintage set in one of my LPs--Alnico II around 7.6K--but they're more vintage PAF, so I don't think they'll do what you're looking to do.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

There was a used Aldrich set on TGP for 150 for a while. I wouldn't bother with a matched Aldrich set though, the neck is really underwhelming.