Is high output always better?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is high output always better?

ME: Fernandes Ravelle
    MB: Yamaha TRBX305
    Rig: Digitech GSP1101

Is high output always better?

I was talking with a couple of friends today and we were discussing high output pickups (ie Duncan Distortion/JB/Invader/etc...) vs medium gain pickups and how the higher output sacrifices tone. Given that a good chunk of people use a boost of some kind or other in front of their amp rather than just relying on pickups to hit the pre-amp hard, I was curious if anyone here uses "lower gain" pickups (eg.. 7K-8K output) and just turns everything up a little bit more.

ME: Elysian Custom
    Rig: Bias Desktop

High Output vs medium/low output is more of a personal taste kind of question. I prefer to let my amp do the work and just let my pickups complement it though I still like high output pickups when I want a guitar to have a loud and in your face kind of tone.
    I play Suhrs, not poor people guitars. -Chris

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Disclaimer, I play fairly low gain... But, my experience has been lower gain pickups tend to offer better definition and clairity, and a broader, more balanced sound. High gain pickups, at least the ones I've played, are often more focused in a particular frequency range, and tend to sound a little more "notched" and narrow until you throw a lot of gain at them. When you do, of course, they tend to sound tighter for that very reason.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Caparisons
    MA: Takamine PTU220 Custom
    MB: Ibanez ATK300
    Rig: Bogner Ecstasy 101A/B

In todays day and age of amps with enough gain stages to make even a 50s strat scream I personally prefer low output pickups.

I love PAF style pickups in the 7.5-8.5K range with either A5, A8 or Ceramic. I've got some Dimarzio PAF 36's coming for my Caparison Angelus, a Norton/PAF pro in my RGR480, ESP LH200 in my 83 ESP Custom (desperately searching for more go those pickups as they are killer) and for my actives I have 57/66 sets as they have that more vintage frequency response. I find high output pickups with lower gain amps work, and lower output pickups bring a killer clarity to higher gain amps.
    "I'm afraid of new guitars. They're too shiny, I can't play them or take them anywhere. They might get damaged!"

Studio6 Photography

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Disclaimer - the Rebel Yell set in my Suhr is 8k in the neck and 14k in the bridge. To my ears, though (and really, to my amp's response - the 7k PAF7 and, well, no surprises here 20k Blaze Bridge feel way hotter - the Blaze to me is about as hot as I'd want to go) they don't seem all that hot.

ME: Strat
    Rig: MKV25, Port City OS Wave

Blazes are 20k?! They feel like 12-13~
    ^ probably sarcasm.

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

You guys do know resistance numbers are only part of the picture with output, right? An X2N is the hottest thing Dimarzio makes, and it's only like 15k; while a Super 3 isn't as hot, but clocks in at a ridiculous 25k.

I prefer more "medium-hot" pickups, like the AT-1, Breed, or Dominion. The really high output stuff just sounds too compressed to me now.

ME: Ibanez JEM Jr. 2015
    Rig: EVH 5150 III 1x12

Q: Is high output always better?

A: You need to own several guitars, with models that vary from having low output pickups through-to high output pickups - only then will the universe start to 'kind of' make sense.