Speaking of SG's - pickup advice

   Heavy Metal Guitar   

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Speaking of SG's - pickup advice

  1. #1


    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Norman, OK
    ME: Peavey HP Special CT
    Rig: Mesa Rectoverb 50

    iTrader: 0

    Speaking of SG's - pickup advice

    As some of you know, I have a red 24-fret Gibson SG Standard -

    I like this thing a lot - love the neck, and I even I like the Tony Iommi bridge bucker. I don't like the firebird neck pickup... it seems thin, weak, and a bit too bright for my tastes. I don't plan to do anything about it right away, but here in a few months I may look at a solution.

    So. I know several companies make mini-buckers and those who do often make the firebird style as well. I'd like something relatively hot, but not so hot that it gets muddy and lost. Articulate but with a sort of dark quality that can be pushed without getting fizzy.

    Suggestions? I'd heard that Bare Knuckle does not make mini-buckers but will rewind one for you. I haven't even checked the price on that.

    Thanks - just noodling this through.

    All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

  2. #2


    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: elsewhere

    iTrader: 0

    If you're going to go the rewind route, I'd go with Wolfetone, based on how highly all of the NoVa mg.org folk think of him.

  3. #3


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Black Swamp, OH
    ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

    iTrader: 16 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    If you're going to go the rewind route, I'd go with Wolfetone, based on how highly all of the NoVa mg.org folk think of him.
    I've run a pair of Wolfe rewinds, and they are every bit worth the cost

    Also, you could call Seymour Duncan. They can wind you something special if you give them some specs on what you're after.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4


    Join Date: Oct 2015
    Location: Tampa Bay

    iTrader: 0

    You can get any pickup or design made to fit that size, or even route it for a full size and get a new pickguard. Then you would have a lot more options.
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist with Seymour Duncan
    Twitter & Instagram @ Zoobiedood

  6. #5


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    It could already be routed for a full-size HB. Have you looked under the pickguard?

    BTW, a JB in the bridge works really well in my SG.

  7. #6


    Join Date: Nov 2014
    Location: Norman, OK
    ME: Peavey HP Special CT
    Rig: Mesa Rectoverb 50

    iTrader: 0

    I could look under the pickguard, but the reason they stuck a firebird in it was because of the 24-fret business. So, my guess is it would have to be a custom pickguard at the very least.

    As far as routing, if that's necessary, I'm going to avoid it at all costs - meaning I'll live with what I have before routing it. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

    I'll check out Wolfe and see if that's an option for me. It sounds like it. Thanks guys.

  8. #7


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Herndon, VA
    ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

    iTrader: 4 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Assault Bacon View Post
    I could look under the pickguard, but the reason they stuck a firebird in it was because of the 24-fret business. So, my guess is it would have to be a custom pickguard at the very least.

    As far as routing, if that's necessary, I'm going to avoid it at all costs - meaning I'll live with what I have before routing it. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

    I'll check out Wolfe and see if that's an option for me. It sounds like it. Thanks guys.
    You'd have to get a new pickguard, but most 24-fret SGs have a full-sized neck humbucker (my 50th Anniversary Ed. one does). It's just a question of whether Gibson custom routed these for mini hums

  9. #8


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Woodbridge, VA
    ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

    iTrader: 2 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    You'd have to get a new pickguard, but most 24-fret SGs have a full-sized neck humbucker (my 50th Anniversary Ed. one does). It's just a question of whether Gibson custom routed these for mini hums
    Which is extremely doubtful. It's way easier to route all the bodies the same and slap on a different pickguard.

Similar Threads

  1. Pickup / Platform advice - Fender Strat
    By Assault Bacon in forum Guitar: Instrument Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-03-2016, 01:31 PM
  2. Pickup Advice: My Jackson Fusion XL
    By Christopher Bechtel in forum Guitar: Instrument Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-09-2014, 03:46 PM
  3. Dimarzio pickup advice....and color
    By shannon in forum Guitar: Pickups Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM
  4. Unusual pickup advice request.
    By InTheRavensName in forum Guitar: Tech, Electronics and DIY
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 08:13 AM
  5. 2027x pickup advice
    By Christopher Bechtel in forum Guitar: Pickups Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  Decibel Guitars  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge