Irongear Steam Hammers = tight win!!! - Page 2

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Irongear Steam Hammers = tight win!!!

ME: EBMM JP6 / JP7
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

As usual, sounds fucking awesome man!

ME: Warmoth Superstrat

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    I saw it on FB and they posted on their page... See if you can be sponsored by them, they arent doing you a favor by selling cheap pickups, your are by exposing them.

Just curious, are the Legs on it Short or Long? want to replace the pickups on my EVH for a Zebra combination (nothing wrong with them just want it for aesthetics) but they need to be short legged and short screws as well... then Dremel the corners but I wont do that on more expensive pickups and forking almost 300 euros for the Real Wolfgang PUPS is totally out of the question
    Not sure they even do any endorsements, they have no artists on their page.

I would say short... I've had like one Epiphone pickup or something with ridicolous long legs/ears whatever they are called.
    But I think you can be safe

Yea... Get the Irongears instead
    Now, if you have patience, wait a week or two, and I will do a comparison between the Steam Hammer and Metal Machine
    I expect the Metal Machine to be more "flubby" and overdistorted, which is something I want for a couple of guitars.
    The Steam Hammers are the ultimate rhythm pickup tho, in my experience.

I even have a couple of Irongear singlecoils coming in, but I'm really not a singlecoil expert... if they sound good ... I guess they sound good...
    I even liked my cheap ass Jackson singlecoils and some cheap Cort singlecoils... AND EMG SAV avtices... Really not my expert field.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

Ced, I'd love to hear your comparison between the steam hammers and metal machine - I've had a steam hammers for quite a while and really like it - and I've considered upgrading to the metal machine. I hope it would be more aggressive and tighter - but if you think it will be flubby then it's not for me.
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    I would say short... I've had like one Epiphone pickup or something with ridicolous long legs/ears whatever they are called.
    But I think you can be safe

Yea... Get the Irongears instead
    Now, if you have patience, wait a week or two, and I will do a comparison between the Steam Hammer and Metal Machine
    I expect the Metal Machine to be more "flubby" and overdistorted, which is something I want for a couple of guitars.
    The Steam Hammers are the ultimate rhythm pickup tho, in my experience.

I even have a couple of Irongear singlecoils coming in, but I'm really not a singlecoil expert... if they sound good ... I guess they sound good...
    I even liked my cheap ass Jackson singlecoils and some cheap Cort singlecoils... AND EMG SAV avtices... Really not my expert field.
    Tks

Im not in a hurry, but being me means I cant leave a guitar alone ahaha always need to change something

Thing with the Wolfgang is that its routed to accept only the Wolfgang Pickups shape... yeah sucks I know, but it is what it is and I knew that before hand.

Duncans wont fit since the Legs are too long and so are the screws:

Dimarzios will fit due to the short Legs and the shorter Screws but Baseplate corners need to be done with a Dremel... or replace Baseplate like in the thread I took that pic from.

When I was shopping some time ago for Single Coils I almost bought some IronGear ones but found a super deal on used Entwistle (16 euros 2 Singles) and went with them instead but they dont sound as nice as the Iron ones. Speaking about great sounding Singles, I loved mine on the LTD... maybe I should had kept them but now its too late since I sold the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    Ced, I'd love to hear your comparison between the steam hammers and metal machine - I've had a steam hammers for quite a while and really like it - and I've considered upgrading to the metal machine. I hope it would be more aggressive and tighter - but if you think it will be flubby then it's not for me.
    I dont see how a pickup with MORE gain can be tighter... I dont know if we used "tight" for different meanings?

With a tight pickup I mean something that really doesn't distort more than the exact attack of the pick, wihch I think Steam Hammer does excellently

Compared to a Duncan Invader I had a couple of years ago it always sounded liek flubby ass (but I liked it back then) ... and thats a super high gain picup

The Dimarzio EVO is supposed to be a "tight pickup" but it doesn't sound like it compared to the Steam Hammer

Nevermind the shitty sound/mix:

00:30 Dimarzio EVO
    00:45 Irongear Steam Hammer

I think the Steam Hammer just comes across as much tighter than the EVO

And to return to Metal Machine: I dont think it will be tighter, and thats not why I'm getting it.
    I'm getting the Metal MAchine because I want a pickup that is NOT tight but feels more fluid for solos and shit

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Tks

Im not in a hurry, but being me means I cant leave a guitar alone ahaha always need to change something

Thing with the Wolfgang is that its routed to accept only the Wolfgang Pickups shape... yeah sucks I know, but it is what it is and I knew that before hand.

Duncans wont fit since the Legs are too long and so are the screws:

Dimarzios will fit due to the short Legs and the shorter Screws but Baseplate corners need to be done with a Dremel... or replace Baseplate like in the thread I took that pic from.

When I was shopping some time ago for Single Coils I almost bought some IronGear ones but found a super deal on used Entwistle (16 euros 2 Singles) and went with them instead but they dont sound as nice as the Iron ones. Speaking about great sounding Singles, I loved mine on the LTD... maybe I should had kept them but now its too late since I sold the guitar.

Ah, sorry I'm not expert in the field of "pickup shapes and legs"
    But... yeah I guess you'll have to grind it... not sure

Ah, cool! Irongear seems to deliver on all areas now... I want them to make J/P bass pickups too

ME: C-8 Special
    Rig: Jet City

That demo was awesome dude! You should seriously start contacting companies about doing demos for them. You'd be perfect for that!

ME: Ibanez RG2550E
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

Great demo dude, I'm intrigued by these.

Quote Originally Posted by T Gobbs View Post
    That demo was awesome dude! You should seriously start contacting companies about doing demos for them. You'd be perfect for that!
    I've done exactly that recently. Surprising how many have actually said yes. The ones who have said no are not the most surprising though (looking at you, Mesa )
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.