DIY: pickups - Page 3

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: DIY: pickups

ME: ESP Strat Custom
    Rig: Dual Rec/GSP 1101

Really cool thread! I just learned a thing or two about pickups.

ME: Bugsy
    MA: Cane
    Rig: Bias

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    ...on the current model, the motor was moved to the middle of the shaft so that I could put another output on the other side. To do something like your design, I could probably attach a longer, rounded piece to contact a counter and just mount it to the base...?

Sorry for the derail, BTW. >.>
    No worries about the thread derail. It's all good.

Both winders look really good. I think using a knob is better than a pedal. Setting the knob in one position and leaving it there is easier than trying to do the same with a pedal.

Yeah, you could probably mount some kind of lobe on the shaft to hit a counter. But that's going to kill the speed and smoothness of your winder. I remember someone using a calculator and some magnetic-type triggers to do counting. I'll try and dig up that link.

Well, the pickups work, and I was going to record a couple clips, but there's a buzzing issue I can't seem to chase down. It's really pissing me off!!! There is buzzing noise unless I'm touching the strings, bridge, volume knob or jack. While I'm playing, it's perfectly quiet. I checked, and there is continuity between the strings, bridge, volume knob, jack, cavity shielding, pickup shielding. From what I've read over at the guitarnuts site, I'm just a big bucket of noise, and the guitar is grounding me. But, they don't say what, if anything, to do about it.

Any ideas what could be the problem? I'm about at the end of my rope here....

Oh, and the pickups sound pretty good to my ears. I'll probably make another set with fewer winds on the single coil (to reduce the bass a little), and more winds on the humbuckers (to increase the bass a little).

ME: Guitar?!?!
    Rig: Rig?!?

Is there buzzing on the humbuckers? I can understand it on the singles... Are there florescent lights around, or a tube type TV? Lots of factors can cause buzz...

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
    Is there buzzing on the humbuckers? I can understand it on the singles... Are there florescent lights around, or a tube type TV? Lots of factors can cause buzz...
    The buzzing occurs with both pickups and does not change when switching between pickups. There are no flourescent lights or tv's around; just my laptop computer, but the buzzing barely changes when moving away from that. I'm just stumped how the buzzing goes away as soon as I touch the strings, bridge, volume knob...etc...but yet they all have continuity to the ground.

Late to the thread as I was out of town, but those are awesome and it looks like your winder is evolving to be pretty impressive

Sorry, no useful suggestions about the buzz...

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by robanomoly
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
    The buzzing occurs with both pickups and does not change when switching between pickups. There are no flourescent lights or tv's around; just my laptop computer, but the buzzing barely changes when moving away from that. I'm just stumped how the buzzing goes away as soon as I touch the strings, bridge, volume knob...etc...but yet they all have continuity to the ground.
    Well you're picking up intererferance from SOMETHiNG, and your simply grounding it when you touch the guitar. I'd try a gentle potting honestly
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    [Well you're picking up intererferance from SOMETHiNG, and your simply grounding it when you touch the guitar. I'd try a gentle potting honestly
    Hmm...maybe I shouldn't have take that job as Assistant Safety Director in Sector 7G at the nuclear power plant...

I don't think potting the pickups would do anything as that's just a coat of wax on/in/around the coils.

...looks like I'll be taking it all apart tonight...