Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Installing Sperzel tuning pegs on an Ibanez RG headstock

13K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Elysian 
#1 ·
Just making it's own thread for this, since I definitely Googled like hell to try and find someone else that did it. :lol: This is a total repost of the pics from my EX Overhaul thread.

This actually is pretty easy, especially with the jig fom StewMac. I used two drill bits, one to mark with the jig, and a second to mark without it. Total time was about an hour, and only because I measured the ever living shit out of everything about a dozen times.

I still have to clean the neck up, so they're in there hand-right to test-fit them right now. These are the 6-Inline ones with the "Graduated Post Position", which translates into "Total mindfuck until you actually toss strings at them and realize that they do, indeed, fit correctly".

Drilling/install:

Test fit of the first tuner:

Finished Product:

They look fucking badass. I'm probably going to go without the washer on the two highest strings, and a quick Google tells me that I'm not the only one to do that. They look unique as hell, feel freakin' awesome and were a snap to install. I do believe this won't be the last guitar that I put these on. :yesway:

The whole point of the two drill bits is that the tape marks the depth of the bit with and without the jig. So drill to depth with the jig on, then once you take it off, use the second (more shallow) bit to get the hole cleaned up and snug.

See less See more
#8 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

darren said:
Nice!

I like Sperzels a lot, but i spent months trying to get them to set me up with a dealer/OEM/luthier and they didn't return my calls. I would have loved to have Sperzel tuners on all my guitars, but so be it.
Sperzel isperhaps the most disorganized company ever. I've dealt with some serious airheads in the industry, but goddamn :lol:

#9 ·
They're really just a mom & pop shop. I actually got to talk to Bob Sperzel on the phone a couple of summers ago, and it was a riot. But it seems like if you're not Carvin or some other company ordering thousands of tuners, they can't get their act together.

After leaving two messages last spring, Lori Sperzel finally called me back, and said, "Can you email me your info again, and i'll call you back on Monday." No call. And i called back one more time, then gave up.

#10 ·
No call. And i called back one more time, then gave up.
Give them another call. Sometimes being persistent is key. I have an engineer I'm potentially using for a project, called their office all last week, all this week, was really about to give up, and then finally today his secretary gave me his mobile number, and he sounds like a kid ready to go to Disney. :shrug:

#15 ·
I'm also going to get another set of silvers for my Brian Moore, an a set of blacks for my C-7. I don't know if they do singles, but if they don't, perhaps a few of us could chip in for the third set for the extra peg, and end up with two apiece or something like that.

#17 ·
TK Instruments used to sell them in any configuration in a variety of colors. You should be able to get them individually from a parts supplier of some sort.

#19 ·
It might be to eliminate the need for string trees on a straight Fender-style headstock. That's what they do on my ESP Mirage.

#23 ·
I found Sperzel super easy to deal with directly. I needed purple tuner buttons for my 80's Jackson project. I gave them a call and they were super cool. Asked what color, what size and how many. I had them in a few days for a much cheaper price than I thought (like 12 bucks).

#24 ·
Exactly, the descending pole heights make each string seat nicely down onto the nut. It doesn't affect tension at all. The strings that run to the end of the headstock have a longer "run", so they match the slope by dropping the "rise." Mmm. Geometry. :yum:

BTW, they look nice :yesway:

If I didn't desire to keep my Les Paul looking as stock as possible, I'd consider putting some black/gold Sperzels on it.

#35 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

So tempted to try and get some in white for the 7421...maybe its overkill? :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.